What Are Affordable Actuator Technologies for Developing a Knee Exoskeleton?

• Thread starter BrianSum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation discusses the design of an active knee exoskeleton for use in the developing world. The person asking the question has already conducted a literature review and is looking for cheap and readily available technology to use in the design. Suggestions for the actuator include using old scooter or motorcycle motors, while for the frame, materials like wood and leather are mentioned. The purpose of the exoskeleton is to assist with knee movement, but the questioner is open to other uses. It is mentioned that there are existing knee exoskeletons designed for the developed world, but the task at hand is to design one that is affordable and accessible for the developing world.
BrianSum
Hey All,

I've been a long time viewer of these forums but only just joined because I'd like to get some other viewpoints. For one of my biomechatronics assignments, I was asked to design an active knee exoskeleton for assembly and use in the developing world.

I've already conducted a literature review and although there are many papers out there about the pros and cons of various actuator types (whether they be electric motors, hydraulic actuators, pneumatic artificial muscles, MR fluids, etc.), there doesn't seem to be much in the form of cheap and readily available technology for the Third World. My question to you is: can you think of any technology that would be suitable for the design of such an exoskeleton?

A few ideas that have come to mind for the actuator are a series of bicycle pumps, however I'm not sure that these would generate sufficient power to function a full knee exoskeleton. Other possibilities included old scooter or motorcycle motors. As far as power sources are concerned, old batteries from power tools could be used, while I have no real idea about control-feedback mechanisms such as sensors.

For the exoskeleton frame, raw materials such as wood, leather, etc would be obvious choices. Does anyone have any ideas as far as technology that could be used? My assignment asks for the inclusion of sketches, force and energy requirements and wiring diagram for control-feedback mechanisms.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say "exoskeleton" do you mean it also has to be powered? How are you going to capture motion input? Why not just a support frame like a knee brace and depend on the user's muscular strength for movement? What are you trying to accomplish?

Mech_Engineer said:
When you say "exoskeleton" do you mean it also has to be powered? How are you going to capture motion input? Why not just a support frame like a knee brace and depend on the user's muscular strength for movement? What are you trying to accomplish?

Yeah, it needs to be powered by some sort of actuation mechanism. We are told that it should be based on a hinged knee brace already as the "blank canvas" you could say. I was thinking something like old smart phones like iPhones or Samsung Galaxys could be used to capture motion input because they have gyros and accelerometers already in them, but not sure if it would work. I guess it's all theoretical anyway, we just have to design one, not actually physically build it.

BrianSum said:
Hey All,

I've been a long time viewer of these forums but only just joined because I'd like to get some other viewpoints. For one of my biomechatronics assignments, I was asked to design an active knee exoskeleton for assembly and use in the developing world.

I've already conducted a literature review and although there are many papers out there about the pros and cons of various actuator types (whether they be electric motors, hydraulic actuators, pneumatic artificial muscles, MR fluids, etc.), there doesn't seem to be much in the form of cheap and readily available technology for the Third World. My question to you is: can you think of any technology that would be suitable for the design of such an exoskeleton?

A few ideas that have come to mind for the actuator are a series of bicycle pumps, however I'm not sure that these would generate sufficient power to function a full knee exoskeleton. Other possibilities included old scooter or motorcycle motors. As far as power sources are concerned, old batteries from power tools could be used, while I have no real idea about control-feedback mechanisms such as sensors.

For the exoskeleton frame, raw materials such as wood, leather, etc would be obvious choices. Does anyone have any ideas as far as technology that could be used? My assignment asks for the inclusion of sketches, force and energy requirements and wiring diagram for control-feedback mechanisms.

Thanks!

BrianSum said:
Yeah, it needs to be powered by some sort of actuation mechanism. We are told that it should be based on a hinged knee brace already as the "blank canvas" you could say. I was thinking something like old smart phones like iPhones or Samsung Galaxys could be used to capture motion input because they have gyros and accelerometers already in them, but not sure if it would work. I guess it's all theoretical anyway, we just have to design one, not actually physically build it.

I'm also a bit confused. What are the "use cases" for a powered knee brace? You need more like a full lower-body exoskeleton in order to help folks walk. What is the purpose of assisting in knee movement?

BrianSum, I am surprised that you show no evidence of having researched this question. A Google search produces a plethora of articles by researchers and developers of exactly what you are asking for. One example:

ABSTRACT
This paper reports on the mechanical design of an active knee orthosis, powered by pleated pneumatic artificial muscles. The orthosis is intended as a proof-of-concept rehabilitation device for the assessment of mechatronical design principles and testing of different control strategies. The general focus of this research is on the development of a step rehabilitation robot prototype consisting of a powered exoskeleton for the lower limbs.
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=4428413&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D4428413

I have completed a literature review, the fact of the matter is that most, if not all, current knee exoskeletons are designed in the developed world for the developed world. The task involves designing something that is cheap and made from technology that is available and affordable for the developing world. A pneumatic muscle actuation mechanism such as the one you've highlighted Bobbywhy, is an alternative, however, pleated artificial muscles can be expensive to make. The materials necessary to build something like this may not be cost-effective. I have the background of various current knee exoskeletons, I was just asking for other people's inputs for possible materials that could be used "around the house" in a sense - left over parts that can be manufactured.

Obviously, a device essentially made from spare parts would not be as effective as a device that is built in the First World. I suppose the goal involves thinking laterally. For example, this Mexican student http://www.unboundedmedicine.com/2007/01/24/prosthetic-arm-developed-by-a-mexican-engineer/ developed a make-shift prosthetic arm from left-over parts that was cheap to build (old electronic hardware).

BrianSum,
Excuse me, I tried, without success, to remove my post #5 above after I re-read your Opening post: "cheap and readily available technology for the Third World". Clearly what I referred to does not meet the limits you set. Sorry for the error.

Bobbywhy

1. How does a knee exoskeleton work?

A knee exoskeleton is a wearable device designed to assist and support the movements of the knee joint. It is typically made of lightweight materials and is worn around the leg, with a hinge mechanism that mimics the movement of the knee. The exoskeleton provides additional support and strength to the knee joint, helping to reduce strain and prevent injury.

2. What are the benefits of using a knee exoskeleton?

The benefits of using a knee exoskeleton can include improved mobility, reduced pain and strain on the knee joint, and increased strength and stability. It can also help with rehabilitation after a knee injury or surgery, and can be used to prevent further injury in physically demanding jobs or sports.

3. Is a knee exoskeleton suitable for everyone?

Knee exoskeletons are designed to be adjustable and customizable to fit different leg sizes and shapes. However, they may not be suitable for individuals with certain medical conditions or disabilities. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before using a knee exoskeleton to ensure it is safe and appropriate for your specific needs.

4. How do you determine the right design for a knee exoskeleton?

The design of a knee exoskeleton depends on various factors, including the specific needs and abilities of the user, the intended use of the exoskeleton, and the materials and technology available. A team of engineers, biomechanics experts, and healthcare professionals work together to design and develop a knee exoskeleton that meets the specific requirements and goals.

5. Can a knee exoskeleton be used for rehabilitation purposes?

Yes, knee exoskeletons can be used for rehabilitation purposes, especially after a knee injury or surgery. They can help to support and stabilize the joint, as well as provide resistance and assistance to movement, which can aid in the rehabilitation process. However, it is important to consult with a physical therapist or healthcare professional for proper usage and rehabilitation protocols.