What are the latest findings in brain scans and understanding consciousness?

• Thread starter Zelebg
  • Start date
In summary, the "Knock, knock..." joke originated in the early 20th century, likely from a traditional children's game. It is often found funny due to wordplay and its familiar and repetitive structure. There are many variations of the joke, including personalized ones involving specific names or scenarios. These personalized jokes add an element of surprise and relatability. Besides entertainment, "Knock, knock..." jokes can also be used for educational or therapeutic purposes.
Zelebg
How did you find PF?
Google
Hello,

I am interested in what some would call metaphysics and philosophy of consciousness and sentience, in questions like what is "self" and what is "subjective experience", i.e. qualia. However my approach is grounded in measurable physical concepts like EM fields, cybernetics, computer science, and such. Is this forum a good place to find people interested in these kinds of topics, and what forum category would suit that discussion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum. We don't discuss metaphyics or philosophy, so you'll want to confine your questions to, as you say, measurable physical concepts. You should read the forum rules, particularly the one concerning personal theories.

phinds said:
Welcome to the forum. We don't discuss metaphyics or philosophy, so you'll want to confine your questions to, as you say, measurable physical concepts. You should read the forum rules, particularly the one concerning personal theories.

Thanks. The discussion I had in mind is about artificial intelligence and can it be made conscious. Unfortunately philosophers lack necessary knowledge in the sciences and end up talking nonsense. I don’t see why is this considered metaphysics and philosophy, I call it physics and biology. But in any case, it’s the mystery which I think has a much lesser chance of ever being solved with physicists just watching from the sidelines, for some reason.

Greetings Zelebg.

Phinds is correct in what he's telling you. This is a great site but it is highly moderated. Violations of the rules can and do result in people being swiftly banned from the site. I would recommend reading the rules in the INFO tab at the top of the page. They do go into some description of why the rules exist - mainly, because the topics that aren't allowed have been tried before and didn't work out.

Sure, I'm just pointing to general situation in the field.

Zelebg said:
Sure, I'm just pointing to general situation in the field.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

One of the best ways to phrase a question here is to cite a mainstream paper from a peer-reviewed journal or a section of a mainstream textbook. That way you can be sure it's probably going to be allowed, and it also gives everybody a starting point for the discussion.

So for example, if you wanted to discuss the latest findings in brain scans and trying to understand mental processing and consciousness, you could look around for the latest papers and discoveries in FMRI and PET imaging research. There are some pretty exciting areas of research there that are on the cutting edge, and could lead to new understandings about how the brain and consciousness work...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4189192/
https://nyulangone.org/news/brain-imaging-helps-redefine-intelligence
When you find a "popular science" (PopSci) article about some new breakthrough, always try to find the scientific article that was published that the PopSci article is based on. Often the author of the PopSci article does not know what they are talking about, and they embellish the subject with sensationalistic half-truths to get more clicks or sell more papers. But if you can find the scientific work behind the PopSci article, that work will often be a good source of discussion here at the PF.

Also, if you are not sure whether a reference or topic is appropriate to post here at the PF, please feel free to send me or the appropriate Mentor a PM to ask. Just click on our avatar and "Start a Conversation".

Enjoy the PF! :smile:

Likes Borg and phinds

1. What is the origin of the "Knock, knock..." joke?

The "Knock, knock..." joke originated in the early 20th century and gained popularity in the 1930s. Its exact origins are unknown, but it is believed to have evolved from a traditional call and response game played by children.

2. Why do people find "Knock, knock..." jokes funny?

"Knock, knock..." jokes often rely on wordplay and surprise, which can be amusing to many people. Additionally, the repetitive structure and familiar format of the joke can make it easy to remember and retell, adding to its popularity.

3. Are there different types of "Knock, knock..." jokes?

Yes, there are many variations of "Knock, knock..." jokes, including puns, double entendres, and plays on words. Some jokes may also involve specific names or scenarios, making them more personalized and unique.

4. Why do "Knock, knock..." jokes often involve a specific name or person?

Using a specific name or person in a "Knock, knock..." joke can add an element of surprise and make the joke more relatable to the audience. It also allows for more creative and personalized variations of the joke.

5. Can "Knock, knock..." jokes be used for more than just entertainment?

Yes, "Knock, knock..." jokes can also be used for educational purposes, such as teaching language and communication skills. They can also be used in therapy or counseling to improve social skills and promote laughter and positivity.