Knoppix booting: invalid screen mode error

In summary, when booting Knoppix 2.78 from a CD, an error regarding an invalid screen mode is shown. When trying to enter a correct mode number, the system may continue to display the wallpaper and then crash. However, it is possible that the display resolution may be too high for the monitor, and pressing Ctrl, Alt, and minus keys simultaneously may resize the resolution. The Ctrl, Alt, and plus keys can be used to resize in the opposite direction.
poolwin2001
When i am booting Knoppix 2.78 from a CD,It gives the error :Invalid screen mode
0 ff77 80x60
1 ff45 80x45
etc
Enter correct mode number or scan

When I enter 0(or ff77) or any other value,it continues upto showing the wallpaper and then crashes.
Thanks in advance

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you sure it's crashed? Sometimes it just tries to use a higher resolution display (e.g. 1280 x 1024) than your monitor can cope with.

Try pressing Ctrl,Alt,- (i.e. the three keys, Ctrl, Alt and minus key all at once) a few times as this resizes the screen resolution on the fly. The Ctrl,Alt,+ combination goes in the other direction.

I used crashed in the sense that mouse didnt move,CPU didnt show busy,CD drive didnt show busy and i couldn't take out the CD.
I will try what you suggested.

1. What is Knoppix and how does it relate to booting?

Knoppix is a Linux-based operating system that can be booted directly from a CD or USB drive without the need for installation on a computer's hard drive. This means that the computer can run Knoppix without affecting the existing operating system.

2. What does the "invalid screen mode error" mean?

The "invalid screen mode error" is an error message that appears when Knoppix is unable to find a compatible screen resolution for your computer's display. This can happen if the screen resolution is not supported by Knoppix or if there is a problem with the graphics driver.

3. How can I fix the "invalid screen mode error" when booting Knoppix?

The first step in fixing this error is to try booting Knoppix in safe mode. This will use a lower screen resolution that is more likely to be supported. If that doesn't work, you can try updating your graphics driver or manually adjusting the screen resolution during the boot process. You can also try using a different display or connecting to an external monitor.

4. Can I prevent the "invalid screen mode error" from happening again?

Yes, you can prevent this error by checking the system requirements for Knoppix and making sure your computer's display meets them. You can also try updating your graphics driver or manually adjusting the screen resolution before booting Knoppix to ensure compatibility.

5. Are there any other common errors that may occur when booting Knoppix?

Yes, there are other common errors that may occur when booting Knoppix, such as "kernel panic" or "unable to mount root filesystem." These errors can also be caused by compatibility issues or hardware problems. It is important to research the error and try different solutions, such as using a different computer or updating drivers, to troubleshoot and resolve the issue.