Kronig-Penny Model: Exploring Electron Behavior in Solids

• Thread starter mamunalsiraj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, the Kronig-Penny model explains the behavior of electrons in a solid, with the possibility of multiple electrons in the system. If the interactions between electrons are ignored, the multi-electron solutions are easy to write, with each electron behaving independently. However, if the repulsion between electrons is included, the solutions become more complex and can lead to phenomena such as superconductivity and magnetism.
mamunalsiraj
Hi everybody,

I have participated in a course about solid state physics and have been introduced with Kronig-Penny model. Now in this model, so far
I understood we solve the nature of wave function of an electron inside an array of potential barrier. It very nicely explains the concept of conduction band and forbidden band inside solid along with the widths of the bands. Now my question is: in my solid I have lot of electrons (some tightly bonded and some not) and so far I understood, if I had one electron in my system, Kronig penny model describes the energy for that situation like hydrogen atom. So what happens when have many electons inside the system.
1)Should not I have as many as wave equations as electrons and should not they be superimposed on each other , then how the solution should look like?
or 2) Do they collectively behave the same way as the single electron so it is not necessary to calculate ?

I am not physics major. Hence might be naive in understanding. I would very much appreciate if somebody share their thoughts about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your post would have been better places in the Solid State section of the forum.
There are a couple of layers to answer your questions.

If you ignore the fact that electrons repel each other by Coulomb repulsion, then the solution is simple. In this case, you write your solutions to the multi-electron Hamiltonian as one big wavefunction that keeps all the information about all the electrons in one function. This total multi-electron wavefunction must be antisymmetric with respect to interchange of any two electrons (which is related to the Pauli exclusion principle). In practice, this means you have to write the state as a Slater Determinant (look this up if you don't know what it is).

When you solve the Kronig-Penny model, you find possible one-electron states, and in order to build a state for multiple electrons, you just have to decide which of those states are occupied by your multiple electrons, and write a Slater determinant of such states. This is analogous to writing electron configurations for atoms - in that case, you decide which "orbitals" are occupied.

So, if you neglect the interactions between the electrons, the multi-electron solutions are easy to write. The behaviour of each electron is essentially independent of the others, apart from obeying the Pauli principle. One only has to solve the one-electron problem, and this gives you all the information you need to write the solutions of the multi-electron problem. It turns out (for some deep reasons) that this is a good approximation for thinking about the properties of usual metals like Copper.

The situation is considerably more difficult if you include the repulsion between the electrons! You can get all sorts of weird solutions, like superconductors and magnets, etc. (Most of the time, you cannot even solve the equations without approximations.) This is an active topic of research, and probably beyond the scope of your knowledge. :-)

Likes 1 person
Finally somebody answered my question. @OhYoungLions:Thank you very much for the reply. I was getting nervous about asking the wrong question.

Last edited:

1. What is the Kronig-Penny model?

The Kronig-Penny model is a theoretical model used to explore the behavior of electrons in solids. It was developed by physicist Ralph Kronig and physicist William G. Penny in 1931.

2. How does the Kronig-Penny model explain electron behavior in solids?

The Kronig-Penny model uses the concept of a periodic potential to describe the interactions between electrons and the atoms in a solid. It also takes into account the wave-like nature of electrons and their probability of being found in different energy states.

3. What are the limitations of the Kronig-Penny model?

While the Kronig-Penny model provides a good understanding of electron behavior in solids, it is limited in its ability to explain the effects of electron-electron interactions and the role of impurities in the solid.

4. What are some applications of the Kronig-Penny model?

The Kronig-Penny model has been used in various fields, including condensed matter physics, materials science, and semiconductor device design. It has also been applied to study the electronic properties of different materials, such as metals, semiconductors, and insulators.

5. How does the Kronig-Penny model relate to other models of electron behavior in solids?

The Kronig-Penny model is one of the earliest and most fundamental models used to describe electron behavior in solids. It is related to other models, such as the Bloch wave model and the nearly-free electron model, which build upon the concepts introduced by the Kronig-Penny model.