L.A.M. Polyline Reshaping: Solutions & Ideas

• Thread starter szandara
  • Start date
In summary: Summary: In summary, the conversation discusses the localization problem in robotics and the challenge of correcting the ending point in a trajectory and reshaping the rest of the points. Possible solutions include using a Kalman filter or an optimization algorithm, but the use of springs may also be considered. It is suggested to seek insights from the computer graphics community.
szandara
Hi everybody

I am working on SLAM, the localization problem in robotics. I have a trajectory generated from my odometry sensors that is composed of a set of points ( O ). ( S ) is the starting point end ( E ) is the ending point of the trajectory. These points can define a polyline

S[itex]\mapsto[/itex]O[itex]\mapsto[/itex]O[itex]\longmapsto[/itex]E

the arrows represent the transactions which are known and are not identical. The drawing is a 1D case but I am working on 3D.

Say I correct the ending ( E ) and move it forward a certain amount [itex]\delta[/itex].

S[itex]\mapsto[/itex]O[itex]\mapsto[/itex]O[itex]\longmapsto[/itex][itex]\stackrel{\delta}{\rightarrow}[/itex]E

I know that the correction of E affects the rest of the points but I don't know how. So I need to suppose an intelligent way to reshape the rest of the trajectory, in this case to stretch it. There's not a specific way to define "intelligent", I just would like to know if there's a known way to apply the correction to the whole trajectory in a way that make sense.

Maybe someone that works with computer graphics knows a simple idea?

some people suggested the use of springs but for a different case which you cannot easily apply to this case.

thanks and regards

S.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

As a fellow scientist, I find your question very interesting. SLAM is definitely a fascinating topic in robotics and it's great to see that you are working on it.

In terms of correcting the ending point (E) and reshaping the rest of the trajectory, there are a few methods that come to mind. One approach could be to use a Kalman filter, which is commonly used in SLAM, to adjust the positions of the points in the trajectory based on the new corrected ending point. This would involve predicting the positions of the points using the odometry data and then updating them based on the corrected ending point.

Another approach could be to use an optimization algorithm, such as gradient descent, to minimize the error between the corrected ending point and the positions of the other points in the trajectory. This would involve defining an error function that takes into account the distance between the corrected ending point and the other points, as well as any other relevant parameters.

As for the idea of using springs, I can see how that could potentially work but it would require defining the stiffness and damping coefficients for each point in the trajectory, which could be challenging.

I would also suggest looking into research papers or discussions within the computer graphics community, as they often deal with similar problems and may have some insights or techniques that could be applicable to your case.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

Related to L.A.M. Polyline Reshaping: Solutions & Ideas

1. What is L.A.M. Polyline Reshaping?

L.A.M. Polyline Reshaping is a technique used in computer graphics and image processing to modify the shape of lines and curves in an image or design. It stands for "Linear Approximation Method Polyline Reshaping" and is commonly used in CAD (Computer-Aided Design) software.

2. What problem does L.A.M. Polyline Reshaping aim to solve?

L.A.M. Polyline Reshaping helps to improve the quality and accuracy of lines and curves in designs or images. It is often used to smooth out jagged or uneven lines, correct distortions, and create more precise shapes.

3. How does L.A.M. Polyline Reshaping work?

L.A.M. Polyline Reshaping works by analyzing the points and segments of a polyline (a series of connected lines or curves) and approximating them with a new set of points and segments that better represent the desired shape. This is done through mathematical algorithms and calculations.

4. What are some common applications of L.A.M. Polyline Reshaping?

L.A.M. Polyline Reshaping is commonly used in computer-aided design (CAD) software for creating precise and smooth lines and curves in architectural, engineering, and industrial designs. It is also used in graphic design and image editing software for creating smooth and accurate shapes in logos, illustrations, and other designs.

5. Are there any limitations to L.A.M. Polyline Reshaping?

Like any computer algorithm, L.A.M. Polyline Reshaping may have limitations in certain situations. It may not be suitable for reshaping highly complex or irregular shapes, and the results may vary depending on the quality and complexity of the original polyline. It is important to use L.A.M. Polyline Reshaping as a tool in combination with other design techniques for the best results.