Can the LHC Create Atom-Sized Black Holes?

In summary, while theoretically possible, it is not believed that atom size blackholes form from the LHC.
hsdrop
Is it possible for the L.H.C. to have an atom size (or smaller) black hole from the collision chambers??
This will lead up to a bigger question if it a possible yes, I just don't want to sound like a moron right off the bat.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hsdrop said:
Is it possible for the L.H.C. to have an adam size (or smaller) black hole from the collision chambers??

I assume you mean an atom sized black hole.
While theoretically possible, this is not believed to be a problem since cosmic rays with energies larger than what the LHC can produce impact the Earth all the time and we aren't all stuck inside a black hole.

Ok but I was not going that way with my question, I do know better on that idea.
I was wondering about Hawking Radiation. I was reading that the larger holes (or ones with more gravitational forces) give off less blackbody radiation than ones with a smaller gravitational force. The smaller that gets the more blackbody radiation it expels. The smallest one could get would be atom size with the most radiation given off right before it evaporates with a bang.
So would that not cause huge problems in the chamber and be easily noticed ??
I really hope that I'm understanding at least a little of what I'm asking about.

No, the energy release would never be bigger than what you put into a single collision. The detectors were built for handling energies of that size.

Likes hsdrop
So... is that proof that atom size holes do not form in the lhc??

No.

They could form. They have not been observed so far, so either the energy is not sufficient (very likely) or they are incredibly rare at the current energy (possible, but unlikely).

They would lead to a large number of particles at medium energies hitting the detectors, with a large total energy (but smaller than the total collision energy) - quite easy to find.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my questions, I just have one more left.
Am I misunderstanding the concept of hawking radiation with the size of the singularity and the blackbody radiation rate?

The singularity (if it exists at all) doesn't have a size. The black hole with its event horizon has something that can be called a size.

Smaller black holes have a larger power. A microscopic black hole at the LHC would have a very high power - but it would also have an incredibly short lifetime. The total energy emitted is just the energy put in - at most the collision energy of the protons.

Likes hsdrop
Ok I believe I understand it now.( man I feel dumb now :doh: )
I did not take into account the first law of thermodynamics the conservation of energy.
Thank you again for helping me understand the concept.

FAQ: Can the LHC Create Atom-Sized Black Holes?

Q: Is it possible for the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) to create atom-sized black holes?

Yes, according to current scientific understanding, it is possible for the LHC to create extremely small black holes. However, the likelihood of this happening is extremely low and the potential consequences have been extensively studied and deemed safe.

Q: What is the purpose of creating atom-sized black holes in the LHC?

The primary purpose of creating atom-sized black holes in the LHC is to study the behavior and properties of these elusive objects. This could potentially provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics and our understanding of the universe.

Q: Are the black holes created in the LHC the same as the ones found in space?

No, the black holes created in the LHC are significantly smaller and have a different origin than the ones found in space. They are formed from the collision of subatomic particles, while the ones in space are formed from the collapse of massive stars.

Q: Can the black holes created in the LHC pose a threat to Earth?

No, the black holes created in the LHC are very small and have a very short lifespan. They would evaporate almost instantly due to Hawking radiation and have no effect on Earth or the surrounding environment.

Q: Has the LHC already created atom-sized black holes?

No, as of now, there is no evidence that the LHC has created atom-sized black holes. However, scientists continue to monitor and study the data from the LHC to further understand the potential for black hole creation.