Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B L.H.C. question

1. Apr 26, 2017 #1
    Is it possible for the L.H.C. to have an atom size (or smaller) black hole from the collision chambers??
    This will lead up to a bigger question if it a possible yes, I just don't want to sound like a moron right off the bat.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I assume you mean an atom sized black hole.
    While theoretically possible, this is not believed to be a problem since cosmic rays with energies larger than what the LHC can produce impact the Earth all the time and we aren't all stuck inside a black hole.

4. Apr 26, 2017 #3
    Ok but I was not going that way with my question, I do know better on that idea.
    I was wondering about Hawking Radiation. I was reading that the larger holes (or ones with more gravitational forces) give off less blackbody radiation than ones with a smaller gravitational force. The smaller that gets the more blackbody radiation it expels. The smallest one could get would be atom size with the most radiation given off right before it evaporates with a bang.
    So would that not cause huge problems in the chamber and be easily noticed ??
    I really hope that I'm understanding at least a little of what I'm asking about.

5. Apr 26, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, the energy release would never be bigger than what you put into a single collision. The detectors were built for handling energies of that size.

6. Apr 26, 2017 #5
    So.... is that proof that atom size holes do not form in the lhc??

7. Apr 26, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

No.

They could form. They have not been observed so far, so either the energy is not sufficient (very likely) or they are incredibly rare at the current energy (possible, but unlikely).

They would lead to a large number of particles at medium energies hitting the detectors, with a large total energy (but smaller than the total collision energy) - quite easy to find.

8. Apr 26, 2017 #7
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my questions, I just have one more left.
    Am I misunderstanding the concept of hawking radiation with the size of the singularity and the blackbody radiation rate?

9. Apr 26, 2017 #8

mfb

2016 Award

The singularity (if it exists at all) doesn't have a size. The black hole with its event horizon has something that can be called a size.

Smaller black holes have a larger power. A microscopic black hole at the LHC would have a very high power - but it would also have an incredibly short lifetime. The total energy emitted is just the energy put in - at most the collision energy of the protons.

10. Apr 26, 2017 #9
    Ok I believe I understand it now.( man I feel dumb now :doh: )
    I did not take into account the first law of thermodynamics the conservation of energy.
    Thank you again for helping me understand the concept.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted