Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Labs & simulations

1. Jun 27, 2007 #1
    I'm not a chem guy so I thought I'd ask here. To what extent can the labs be replaced with simulations? Computers have come a long way & nothing's changed so I figure I must be missing something.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Swallow the red pill and find out...

4. Jun 27, 2007 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The simulations are a cheap way to convey information or knowledge;
    the laboratory exercises are needed for meaningful instruction. You cannot develop through simulations - you NEED the practical instructional experiences.

5. Jun 27, 2007 #4
    You can't exchange lab experience for a simulation . I doubt a computer would have ever figured out that if you scratch the side of your glass vessel with a spatula it will help crystalize your product out much faster than just letting it sit there.

A lot of lab work in chemistry is more than just science, it actually is an art.

6. Jun 27, 2007 #5
    I don't really doubt it; I'm just trying to understand why. Would more sophisticated simulations satisfy Gravenewworld? Do I have to get into chemistry to understand it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?