1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Labs & simulations

1. Jun 27, 2007 #1
    I'm not a chem guy so I thought I'd ask here. To what extent can the labs be replaced with simulations? Computers have come a long way & nothing's changed so I figure I must be missing something.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Swallow the red pill and find out...

4. Jun 27, 2007 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The simulations are a cheap way to convey information or knowledge;
    the laboratory exercises are needed for meaningful instruction. You cannot develop through simulations - you NEED the practical instructional experiences.

5. Jun 27, 2007 #4
    You can't exchange lab experience for a simulation . I doubt a computer would have ever figured out that if you scratch the side of your glass vessel with a spatula it will help crystalize your product out much faster than just letting it sit there.

A lot of lab work in chemistry is more than just science, it actually is an art.

6. Jun 27, 2007 #5
    I don't really doubt it; I'm just trying to understand why. Would more sophisticated simulations satisfy Gravenewworld? Do I have to get into chemistry to understand it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?