Lagrange equation: when exactly does it apply?

In summary, the conversation touches on the application of the Lagrange equation to holonomic constraints, the inclusion of constraining forces in the system, and the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation. It also raises questions about the modified equation and its application to different systems, as well as the relationship between kinetic energy and position. The answerer suggests referring to Goldstein's book for more clarification and also recommends a paper that discusses these topics.
Nikitin
Hi! Does the Lagrange equation ONLY apply when the constraints are holonomic? What about the constraining forces acting on the system (i.e. normal force, or other perpendicular forces), do they make a system holonomic?

What about the Lagrange equation with the general force on the right hand side. I read in Goldstein that it can be, for instance, a non-conservative frictional force. Why? Where did that come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
BTW, I am talking about the Euler-Lagrange equation. This one, $$ \sum_j \frac{\partial L }{\partial q_j} - \frac{d}{d t} \frac{\partial L }{\partial \dot{q_j}} = 0$$ in case there was any confusion.

But what is up with the modified equation, ##\frac{\partial L }{\partial q_j} - \frac{d}{d t} \frac{\partial L }{\partial \dot{q_j}} = Q_j## ? When does this apply to a system, and for which generalized forces ##Q_j##s? It was not derived in Goldstein's book, just given.

Another question, if somebody wants to answer: does ##\frac{\partial T}{\partial q_j}##, where ##T## is the kinetic energy of the system, always equal zero? Or do there exist situations where the kinetic energy has an explicit dependence on position?

It might seem like a strange question because kinetic energy is defined using total velocity, but I ask because one form of Lagrange's equation is ##\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial T}{\partial \dot{q_j}} - \frac{\partial T}{\partial q_j} = Q_j##.

Nikitin said:
Another question, if somebody wants to answer: does ##\frac{\partial T}{\partial q_j}##, where ##T## is the kinetic energy of the system, always equal zero? Or do there exist situations where the kinetic energy has an explicit dependence on position?

It certainly can, in spherical coordinates (or polar) you have position dependence in the kinetic term.

Likes Nikitin
Check http://physics.clarku.edu/courses/201/sreading/AJP73_March2005_265-272.pdf paper out. Does that help answer your questions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Nikitin
I hate to answer your question this way, but if you reread Goldstein chapter 1 and 2 enough, you will answer your questions. This was true for me.

What is the Lagrange equation?

The Lagrange equation, also known as the Euler-Lagrange equation, is a mathematical equation used to describe the motion of a system in classical mechanics. It is named after Italian mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange.

When does the Lagrange equation apply?

The Lagrange equation applies to systems that can be described using generalized coordinates and where the principle of least action holds. It is commonly used in problems involving the motion of a single particle or a system of particles.

What is the principle of least action?

The principle of least action states that the motion of a system will follow the path that minimizes the action, which is defined as the integral of the Lagrangian over time. This principle is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and is the basis for the Lagrange equation.

Are there any limitations to the applicability of the Lagrange equation?

Yes, the Lagrange equation is limited to systems that can be described using generalized coordinates and where the principle of least action holds. It also does not take into account non-conservative forces, such as friction, which can affect the motion of a system.

Can the Lagrange equation be applied to other fields of science?

Yes, the Lagrange equation has been adapted and applied to various fields such as quantum mechanics, optics, and electromagnetism. It is a powerful tool for analyzing the motion and dynamics of systems in a wide range of scientific disciplines.