1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange multiplier problem

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A window of fixed perimeter is in the shape of a rectangle surmounted by a semi-circle. Prove that its area is greatest when its breadth equals its greatest height.

2. Relevant equations
    SA = lw + (pi*l^2)/4 <--- Thats what I got the surface area to be.
    Perimeter = 2w + L(1 + pi / 2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can solve these problems with numbers, but when it comes to general problems I become unstuck. I tried using the same methord, but it didn't work. Some advice please?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Re: Optimisation

you need to maximise the surface area with the perimeter constraint and the easiest way would be to use a lagrange multilpier..

otherwise assume a constant value for the perimeter, say p, solve the perimeter eauqtion for l or w, then substitute back into the SA equation and minimise the function of (now) one variable

4. Nov 12, 2009 #3
    Re: Optimisation

Cheers, the second methord worked a treat! I'll look into the lagrange stuff, looks interesting :)
    Thanks once again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook