Solve Lagrange Multiplier Problem | f(X,Y,Z) = 2XY + 6YZ + 8XZ

I've seen far too many students who can't do arithmetic because they had calculators do it for them and, not understanding what was going on, never learned how to do it for themselves.
Baumer8993

Homework Statement

Minimize f(X, Y, Z) = 2XY + 6YZ + 8XZ subject to the constraint XYZ = 12.

Homework Equations

The gradients of the equations, and XYZ = 12.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the gradients for both of the equations.

∇f = <2Y + 8Z, 2X + 6Z, 6Y + 8X> ∇g = < YZ, XZ, XY> I also have XYZ 12.

I have set them up in there separate equations with the λ in them. I have just stuck on how to solve them. Isn't there a way to plug the equations in the my TI - 83 Plus to solve them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Baumer8993 said:

Homework Statement

Minimize f(X, Y, Z) = 2XY + 6YZ + 8XZ subject to the constraint XYZ = 12.

Homework Equations

The gradients of the equations, and XYZ = 12.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the gradients for both of the equations.

∇f = <2Y + 8Z, 2X + 6Z, 6Y + 8X> ∇g = < YZ, XZ, XY> I also have XYZ 12.

I have set them up in there separate equations with the λ in them. I have just stuck on how to solve them. Isn't there a way to plug the equations in the my TI - 83 Plus to solve them?

No, don't do that; you won't learn anything that way. Use such tools later, to save time, after you have learned the basics.

In this case: use the first equation to solve for Y in terms of Z, use the second equation to solve for X in terms of Z. Now plug those tow expressions into the third equation. This will give you an equation in Z and λ alone. One way to proceed would be to try to solve that equation for Z in terms of λ; there would be more than one solution, corresponding to multiple roots of a higher-order equation. Another way would be to also substitute your expressions for X and Y into the constraint equation, giving a second equation involving z and λ. Now you could try to solve those two equations in the two unknowns in some way.

So you have [tex]2Y+ 8Z= \lambda YZ[/tex], [tex]2X+ 6Z= \lambda XZ[/tex], [tex]6Y+ 8X= \lambda XY, together with XYZ= 12.

Since a specific value for [tex]\lambda[/tex] is not necessary to solve this problem, it is often simplest to first eliminate [tex]\lambda[/tex] by dividing one equation by another. Here, dividing the first equation by the second, [tex]\frac{2Y+ 8Z}{2X+ 6Z}= \frac{Y}{X}[/tex] which is the same as X(Y+ 4Z)= Y(X+ 3Z) or XY+ 4XZ= XY+ 3YZ which reduces to 4XZ= 3YZ, 4X= 3Y.

Similarly, dividing the third equation by the second, [tex]\frac{6Y+ 8Z}{2X+ 6Z}= \frac{Y}{Z}[/tex] which is the same as Z(3Y+ 4Z)= Y(X+ 3Z) or [tex]3YZ+ 4Z^2= XY+ 3YZ[/tex] which reduces to [tex]4Z^2= XY[/tex].

Since Y= (4/3)X, that last equation becomes [tex]4Z^2= (4/3)X^2[/tex] or [tex]Z^2= 4X^2[/tex] and [tex]Z= \pm 2X[/tex]. Continue from there.

I agree with Ray Vickson- the last thing you want is to have someone or something do those solutions for you. You need to learn the ideas so that you will understand, when you do use "technology", what is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solve Lagrange Multiplier Problem | f(X,Y,Z) = 2XY + 6YZ + 8XZ

1. What is the Lagrange multiplier method?

The Lagrange multiplier method is a mathematical technique used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to a set of constraints. It involves adding a scalar multiple of the constraints to the original function and solving the resulting equations to find the critical points.

2. How do I set up the Lagrange multiplier problem?

To set up the Lagrange multiplier problem, you first need to define your objective function and the constraints. In this case, the objective function is f(X,Y,Z) = 2XY + 6YZ + 8XZ and the constraint is g(X,Y,Z) = c, where c is a constant. Then, you set up the Lagrangian L(X,Y,Z,λ) = f(X,Y,Z) - λ(g(X,Y,Z) - c), where λ is the Lagrange multiplier.

3. How do I solve the Lagrange multiplier problem?

To solve the Lagrange multiplier problem, you need to find the critical points of the Lagrangian by taking the partial derivatives with respect to X, Y, Z, and λ and setting them equal to 0. Then, you can solve the resulting equations to find the values of X, Y, Z, and λ that satisfy the constraints and optimize the objective function.

4. What is the significance of the Lagrange multiplier in optimization?

The Lagrange multiplier is a scalar value that represents the rate of change of the objective function with respect to the constraints. It helps in finding the critical points of the Lagrangian and determining the maximum or minimum value of the function subject to the given constraints.

5. Can the Lagrange multiplier method be applied to functions with more than three variables?

Yes, the Lagrange multiplier method can be applied to functions with any number of variables. The process of setting up and solving the Lagrange multiplier problem remains the same, but the equations become more complex as the number of variables increases.