Lagrange Pendulum Equation of Motion

In summary, your equation of motion for a regular single pendulum is incorrect, and you need to check your derivation.
Andrew Deleonardis
Hi, I've derived the equation of motion for a regular single pendulum, but do not know how to solve the differential equation.
I have the following:
r2θ''2=mg(cosθ-rsinθ)

Physics news on Phys.org
Before you worry too much about a solution, I suggest that you check your derivation. That equation does not appear to be correct. If you want to continue the discussion, please give us a diagram with proper labels.

unless r is dimensionless (probably not) your equation above cannot be correct. You are adding r sin theta to cosine theta for part of the term on the right. In general the right hand term (apparently) contains a mass, but the term on the left involves solely geometric quantities.

In addition, most of these type problems involve a small amplitude assumption. Is this the case here.

A small amplitude assumption is not essential. The large amplitude pendulum can be formulated just fine, although it is much more difficult to solve than with the small amplitude assumption.

Dr.D said:
Before you worry too much about a solution, I suggest that you check your derivation. That equation does not appear to be correct. If you want to continue the discussion, please give us a diagram with proper labels.

You're right, I completely messed up. My mistake was a mistake correcting a mistake. I had accidentally noticed that I wasn't supposed to take the derivative of the lagrangian with respect to the r because it was a constant, and mistakenly removed only half of it from my working out, thus the extra cos.

θ''=-g/r*sin(θ)

Attachments

• Oops.png
    Oops.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 558
Yes, the small angle assumption is not necessary, and the problem is solvable using elliptic integrals. Solving the problem with the small angle assumption is commonly treated at the undergraduate level. Even at the graduate level, the small angle assumption is common, and the problems become more sophisticated because they treat many degrees of freedom (e.g. coupled equations and normal modes).

1. What is the Lagrange Pendulum Equation of Motion?

The Lagrange Pendulum Equation of Motion is a mathematical equation used to describe the motion of a pendulum. It takes into account the length of the pendulum, the gravitational acceleration, and the initial conditions of the pendulum's motion.

2. How is the Lagrange Pendulum Equation of Motion derived?

The equation is derived using Lagrangian mechanics, which is a mathematical framework used to analyze the motion of mechanical systems. It involves using the principle of least action to find the equations of motion for a system.

3. What are the key components of the Lagrange Pendulum Equation of Motion?

The key components of the equation are the length of the pendulum (L), the gravitational acceleration (g), and the initial conditions of the pendulum's motion, including the initial angle and velocity.

4. How is the Lagrange Pendulum Equation of Motion different from the simple pendulum equation?

The Lagrange Pendulum Equation of Motion is a more complex equation that takes into account the length of the pendulum and the initial conditions, whereas the simple pendulum equation only considers the length of the pendulum and the gravitational acceleration. The Lagrange equation is a more accurate representation of the motion of a pendulum, especially for larger amplitudes.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Lagrange Pendulum Equation of Motion?

The equation can be applied to various systems that exhibit pendulum-like motion, such as clock pendulums, swing rides, and seismometers. It can also be used in the design and analysis of mechanical systems, such as suspension bridges and cranes.