Lagrange theorem and subgroup help

In summary: Lagrange.In summary, the homework statement is trying to find a solution to a problem where Lagrange theorem states that if gcd(lHl,lKl)=1, then H\bigcapK={1}. If gcd(oh,ok)=1, then H\bigcapK={1} and order of k is 1. If k is also in H, then order of k is n and k^n = 1.
annoymage

Homework Statement

Let G be group, H<G , K<G, if gcd(lHl,lKl)=1, prove that H[tex]\bigcap[/tex]K={1}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so Lagrange theorem says that lHl l lGl, lKl l lGl,
and of course 1 is inside both H and K, but how when they are coprime, the element are all different except their identity? i cannot see T_T

Physics news on Phys.org

What must be true about the order of an element of a group

i don't know much about, order of an element, but i noticed the corollary from lagrange theorm, state that order on an element divides order of the group, provided that it is a finite group,

i use oG for order of G for simplicity.

so, gcd(oH,oK)=1 , let h in H, k in K,

so oh l oH and ok l oK, would imply gcd(oh,ok)=1

so their orders are coprime, still cannot see, why their element are different, T_T,

is, cyclic group involved? i still didn't go through cyclic yet

Well, suppose we have an element g which is in both H and K.

What is the order of g? You almost calculated it in your post

yeaaa, i can see now, the order is 1, therefore 1 is the element in both H and K, correct?

No, 1 is in H and K because H and K are subgroups of G.

Are you sure you can assume finiteness here?

Here is a different way to approach. Pick an arbitrary element,k, in K. Now state something about the order of k. Now what happens if you assume k is in H? What is true about all the elements of H?

annoymage said:
yeaaa, i can see now, the order is 1, therefore 1 is the element in both H and K, correct?

i mean, 1 is the "only" element in H and K, if it is finite...

hmmmm, so maybe can i divide it into 2 cases? but i do no know what to do if they are infinite, cause i can't use lagrange.

anyway,

icantadd said:
Here is a different way to approach. Pick an arbitrary element,k, in K. Now state something about the order of k. Now what happens if you assume k is in H? What is true about all the elements of H?

let order of k is n, so kn=1, Suppose k also in H, then kn also in H, is that what you mean? T_T and i don't know how to continued

annoymage said:
let order of k is n, so kn=1, Suppose k also in H, then kn also in H, is that what you mean? T_T and i don't know how to continued

You can get there!

Yup, okay, we have k^n = 1. Now what can you tell me, using Lagrange about n and |K|?

Write that down. Now if you assume k is also in H, what does that imply?

yes, but i thought i can only use lagrange for finite group,

and if it is finite, and if k also in H k^n also in H, so n divides both l K l and l H l, will imply gcd(n,n)=1, so n must equal to 1, so order of k is 1, will imply k=1, so 1 is the only element in K and H,
but i did it in the last post, T_T what if it is infinite? i cannot use Lagrange right?

annoymage said:
what if it is infinite? i cannot use Lagrange right?

Yeah, I was thinking about that...
Does taking the gcd of a group with infinite order make sense?

FAQ: Lagrange theorem and subgroup help

What is Lagrange's theorem?

Lagrange's theorem, also known as the Lagrange's subgroup theorem, is a fundamental theorem in group theory that states that the order of a subgroup divides the order of the larger group.

What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that itself forms a group under the same group operation.

How can Lagrange's theorem be applied in real-world situations?

Lagrange's theorem has various applications in different fields such as cryptography, chemistry, and physics. For example, in chemistry, the theorem can be used to determine the number of possible isomers of a molecule.

What is the significance of Lagrange's theorem?

Lagrange's theorem is an important result in group theory as it provides a way to classify groups and their subgroups. It also helps in proving the existence of certain types of groups and understanding their properties.

Can Lagrange's theorem be extended to other mathematical structures?

Yes, Lagrange's theorem can be extended to other algebraic structures such as rings and fields. In these structures, the theorem is known as the Lagrange's ring and field extension theorem, respectively.