Modeling Friction with Lagrange: Easiest Method?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Lagrange approach to model a system with friction. Adding a term of the form -Ft to the potential energy would not appear in the equations of motion. Instead, the Euler-Lagrange equations can be used by incorporating a quadratic "dissipation function" \mathcal F, which represents the power lost to friction. This function is dependent on the generalized velocities and can be used to find the equations of motion. For ordinary friction, \mathcal F is quadratic in the velocities, while for viscous cases, it will have a different form. The reference used for this approach is Classical Mechanics, by Goldstein, Poole, & Safko.
Hi Everyone,

I want to use the Lagrange approach (which I am not terribly familiar with) to model a system with friction. I was thinking of modeling the losses due to friction as a simple constant dissipation of energy over time. Can I simply add a term of the form -Ft to the potential energy? (F is the amount of energy lost to friction in a unit time)

If not, what is the easiest way to add an energy-dissapation term?

-Thanks
Dale

Physics news on Phys.org
If you add a term -Ft it will not appear then it will not appear in the equations of motion!

Better to use the Euler-Lagrange equations to find the equations of motion, and then insert your friction directly into the equations of motion.

Edit: Some treatments due this by making the RHS of the Euler-Lagrange equations non-zero.

There is a standard way to do this, by means of a "dissipation function" [itex]\mathcal F[/itex]. The dissipation function represents the power lost to friction, so it is often a quadratic function of the generalized velocities [itex]\dot q_i[/itex]. Lagrange's equations of motion then become:

[tex]\frac d{dt} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_i} \right) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} = - \frac{\partial {\mathcal F}}{\partial \dot q_i}[/tex]

Note that [itex]\mathcal F[/itex] is quadratic in the velocities only when the frictional forces are linear in the velocities; that is, for ordinary friction. For viscous cases when the forces are proportional to the square of the velocity, [itex]\mathcal F[/itex] would take on a different form.

Last edited:
Crosson said:
Edit: Some treatments due this by making the RHS of the Euler-Lagrange equations non-zero.
Ben Niehoff said:
There is a standard way to do this, by means of a "dissipation function" [itex]\mathcal F[/itex]. The dissipation function represents the power lost to friction, so it is often a quadratic function of the generalized velocities [itex]\dot q_i[/itex]. Lagrange's equations of motion then become:

[tex]\frac d{dt} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_i} \right) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} = \frac{\partial {\mathcal F}}{\partial \dot q_i}[/tex]
Thanks, to both of you, this is exactly what I need.
Ben Niehoff said:
Note that [itex]\mathcal F[/itex] is quadratic in the velocities only when the frictional forces are linear in the velocities; that is, for ordinary friction. For viscous cases when the forces are proportional to the square of the velocity, [itex]\mathcal F[/itex] would take on a different form.
By frictional forces being linear in velocity I assume that you mean something to the effect that the energy dissipated by ordinary friction over a unit time is proportional to the velocity, because the force is constant. Is that correct? I am just trying to figure out how to construct this function. It looks like it should be in units of energy/time, perhaps representing the rate at which energy enters the system (negative numbers for dissipation, and 0 for purely conservative).

Edit: never mind, I just noticed that you already said it was power (energy/time) lost to friction (positive for dissipation). But if you have any references that discuss this in depth I would be appreciative!

Last edited:
Ack, I forgot a minus sign! I've fixed the original post. The revised equation is:

[tex]\frac d{dt} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_i} \right) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} = - \frac{\partial {\mathcal F}}{\partial \dot q_i}[/tex]

[itex]\mathcal F[/itex] is then a positive definite quadratic form in the generalized velocities. Specifically, if the generalized forces of friction are

[tex]Q_i = -k_i \dot q_i[/tex]

then [itex]\mathcal F[/itex] is given by

[tex]{\mathcal F} = \frac 12 \sum_i k_i \dot q_i^2[/tex]

such that

[tex]Q_i = - \frac{\partial {\mathcal F}}{\partial \dot q_i}[/tex]

The reference I'm using is Classical Mechanics, by Goldstein, Poole, & Safko. I looked in Marion & Thornton also, but I couldn't find it (it may be in there; I didn't look very hard).

Last edited:

1. What is the Lagrangian method and how is it used to model friction?

The Lagrangian method is a mathematical technique used to describe the behavior of a system. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that a system will always follow the path of least resistance. To model friction using this method, we introduce a term called the dissipation function into the Lagrangian equation, which takes into account the energy lost due to friction.

2. How does the Lagrangian method compare to other methods of modeling friction?

The Lagrangian method is generally considered to be the easiest method for modeling friction because it is based on a single equation that can be applied to any system, regardless of its complexity. Other methods, such as the Euler-Lagrange equation and the Coulomb friction model, may be more accurate in certain situations, but they require more complex calculations and assumptions about the system.

3. What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian method to model friction?

One of the main advantages of using the Lagrangian method is its simplicity. It allows for a straightforward calculation of the forces and accelerations within a system, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the system. Additionally, the Lagrangian method is more general and can be applied to a wide range of systems, making it a versatile tool for scientists and engineers.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian method to model friction?

Like any modeling method, the Lagrangian method has its limitations. It assumes that friction is a dissipative force, meaning that it only accounts for energy lost due to friction and does not take into account any energy gained. This may not accurately represent some systems, such as those with rolling friction or systems with energy input from external sources.

5. How can the Lagrangian method be used to improve our understanding of friction?

By using the Lagrangian method to model friction, we can gain a better understanding of how friction affects the behavior of a system. This can help us make more accurate predictions and design better systems that take into account the effects of friction. Additionally, the Lagrangian method can be used to study the relationship between friction and other variables, such as velocity, mass, and surface roughness, providing valuable insights into the nature of friction.