1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange with friction

1. Nov 17, 2007 #1

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Hi Everyone,

I want to use the Lagrange approach (which I am not terribly familiar with) to model a system with friction. I was thinking of modeling the losses due to friction as a simple constant dissipation of energy over time. Can I simply add a term of the form -Ft to the potential energy? (F is the amount of energy lost to friction in a unit time)

If not, what is the easiest way to add an energy-dissapation term?

-Thanks
    Dale

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2007 #2
    If you add a term -Ft it will not appear then it will not appear in the equations of motion!

Better to use the Euler-Lagrange equations to find the equations of motion, and then insert your friction directly into the equations of motion.

Edit: Some treatments due this by making the RHS of the Euler-Lagrange equations non-zero.

4. Nov 17, 2007 #3

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a standard way to do this, by means of a "dissipation function" [itex]\mathcal F[/itex]. The dissipation function represents the power lost to friction, so it is often a quadratic function of the generalized velocities [itex]\dot q_i[/itex]. Lagrange's equations of motion then become:

[tex]\frac d{dt} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_i} \right) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} = - \frac{\partial {\mathcal F}}{\partial \dot q_i}[/tex]

Note that [itex]\mathcal F[/itex] is quadratic in the velocities only when the frictional forces are linear in the velocities; that is, for ordinary friction. For viscous cases when the forces are proportional to the square of the velocity, [itex]\mathcal F[/itex] would take on a different form.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  5. Nov 17, 2007 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Thanks, to both of you, this is exactly what I need.
    By frictional forces being linear in velocity I assume that you mean something to the effect that the energy dissipated by ordinary friction over a unit time is proportional to the velocity, because the force is constant. Is that correct? I am just trying to figure out how to construct this function. It looks like it should be in units of energy/time, perhaps representing the rate at which energy enters the system (negative numbers for dissipation, and 0 for purely conservative).

Edit: never mind, I just noticed that you already said it was power (energy/time) lost to friction (positive for dissipation). But if you have any references that discuss this in depth I would be appreciative!

6. Nov 17, 2007 #5

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ack, I forgot a minus sign! I've fixed the original post. The revised equation is:

[tex]\frac d{dt} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_i} \right) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} = - \frac{\partial {\mathcal F}}{\partial \dot q_i}[/tex]

[itex]\mathcal F[/itex] is then a positive definite quadratic form in the generalized velocities. Specifically, if the generalized forces of friction are

[tex]Q_i = -k_i \dot q_i[/tex]

then [itex]\mathcal F[/itex] is given by

[tex]{\mathcal F} = \frac 12 \sum_i k_i \dot q_i^2[/tex]

such that

[tex]Q_i = - \frac{\partial {\mathcal F}}{\partial \dot q_i}[/tex]

The reference I'm using is Classical Mechanics, by Goldstein, Poole, & Safko. I looked in Marion & Thornton also, but I couldn't find it (it may be in there; I didn't look very hard).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook