Understanding Euler-Lagrange Equations: Lagrangian Density & Vector Field

In summary, Daniel is struggling with the Euler-Lagrange equation. He doesn't understand why the indices are upper case and he is looking for a book on tensor algebra that is intended for physicists.
Spinny
Here's the problem. For a neutral vector field [tex]V_{\mu}[/tex] we have the Lagrangian density

[tex]\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}V_{\nu})(\partial^{\mu}V^{\nu})+\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}V^{\mu})(\partial_{\nu}V^{\nu})+\frac{1}{2}m^2V_{\mu}V^{\mu}[/tex]

We are then going to use the Euler-Lagrange equations to show that (for [tex]m\neq 0[/tex])

[tex]\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}V^{\nu}+m^2V^{\nu} = 0 \quad;\quad \partial^{\mu}V_{\mu} = 0[/tex]

Now, the Euler-Lagrange equation (as I found in the textbook) is

[tex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \varphi}-\partial_{\mu}\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\varphi)} = 0[/tex]

My problem here, with what at first glance would appear to be a rather simple problem, is that I'm confused by all the indices! I haven't a lot of experience working like this, in fact this is all new to me, so I don't quite know how or where to start.

I can, however, give a specific example of what I don't understand, just to get things started.

The first part seemed at first easy enough, as the Lagrangian only contains one part with [tex]V_{\mu}[/tex] which is

[tex]\frac{1}{2}m^2V_{\mu}V^{\mu}[/tex]

and from what I've understood [tex]V_{mu}V^{\mu}[/tex] is just the square of each of the components of the vector, so that when you derivate it with respect to [tex]V_{\mu}[/tex], I thought you'd get something like

[tex]m^2V^{\mu}[/tex]

but the text says [tex]m^2 V^{\nu}[/tex] which brings up two question, first of all, why is it [tex]\nu[/tex] and not [tex]\mu[/tex], and why is it an upper index, rather than a lower one?

Furthermore I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book introductory book about tensor algebra and such, preferably one intended for physicists rather than mathematicians. (It doesn't have to be a book on just about tensors, as long as it contains a good introduction to tensors.)

Physics news on Phys.org
It matters whether you differentiate the scalar [itex] V_{\mu}V^{\mu} [/itex] wrt the covector [itex] V_{\nu} [/itex] or wrt the vector [itex] V^{\nu} [/itex]. That's why the indices must be treated with great care.

Daniel.

Hi Spinny,

I worked my way through Schaum's Tensor Calculus which I found very good except for quite a few typos.

Regards

TerryW

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental equation in the field of calculus of variations. It is used to find the extremum of a functional, which is a mathematical expression that takes in a function as an input and outputs a number. The Euler-Lagrange equation is used to find the function that minimizes or maximizes the functional.

2. What is the Lagrangian density?

The Lagrangian density is a function that is used to calculate the Lagrangian of a physical system. It is a function of the fields and their derivatives, which describe the state of the system. The Lagrangian density is a crucial concept in the field of classical mechanics and is used to derive the Euler-Lagrange equations.

3. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that describes a quantity that has both magnitude and direction at every point in space. In physics, vector fields are often used to represent physical quantities, such as velocity, force, or electric and magnetic fields. In the context of Euler-Lagrange equations, vector fields are used to describe the dynamics of a physical system.

4. How are Euler-Lagrange equations used in physics?

Euler-Lagrange equations are used in physics to describe the motion of a system and to determine the equations of motion for a physical system. They are derived from the Lagrangian of a system, which is a mathematical quantity that encapsulates the dynamics of the system. By solving the Euler-Lagrange equations, one can determine the state of a system at any given time.

5. What are some applications of Euler-Lagrange equations?

Euler-Lagrange equations have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to study the motion of particles and systems, to model the behavior of fluids and gases, and to describe the dynamics of fields, such as electromagnetic fields. They are also used in the study of optimization problems, such as finding the shortest path between two points, and in the development of control systems for robots and other mechanical systems.