1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian density

1. Oct 5, 2005 #1
    Here's the problem. For a neutral vector field [tex]V_{\mu}[/tex] we have the Lagrangian density

[tex]\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}V_{\nu})(\partial^{\mu}V^{\nu})+\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}V^{\mu})(\partial_{\nu}V^{\nu})+\frac{1}{2}m^2V_{\mu}V^{\mu}[/tex]

We are then going to use the Euler-Lagrange equations to show that (for [tex]m\neq 0[/tex])

[tex]\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}V^{\nu}+m^2V^{\nu} = 0 \quad;\quad \partial^{\mu}V_{\mu} = 0[/tex]

Now, the Euler-Lagrange equation (as I found in the textbook) is

[tex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \varphi}-\partial_{\mu}\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\varphi)} = 0[/tex]

My problem here, with what at first glance would appear to be a rather simple problem, is that I'm confused by all the indices! I haven't a lot of experience working like this, in fact this is all new to me, so I don't quite know how or where to start.

I can, however, give a specific example of what I don't understand, just to get things started.

The first part seemed at first easy enough, as the Lagrangian only contains one part with [tex]V_{\mu}[/tex] which is

and from what I've understood [tex]V_{mu}V^{\mu}[/tex] is just the square of each of the components of the vector, so that when you derivate it with respect to [tex]V_{\mu}[/tex], I thought you'd get something like

but the text says [tex]m^2 V^{\nu}[/tex] which brings up two question, first of all, why is it [tex]\nu[/tex] and not [tex]\mu[/tex], and why is it an upper index, rather than a lower one?

Furthermore I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book introductory book about tensor algebra and such, preferably one intended for physicists rather than mathematicians. (It doesn't have to be a book on just about tensors, as long as it contains a good introduction to tensors.)
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It matters whether you differentiate the scalar [itex] V_{\mu}V^{\mu} [/itex] wrt the covector [itex] V_{\nu} [/itex] or wrt the vector [itex] V^{\nu} [/itex]. That's why the indices must be treated with great care.

4. May 16, 2010 #3

Gold Member

Hi Spinny,

I worked my way through Schaum's Tensor Calculus which I found very good except for quite a few typos.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?