Lagrangian for straight line in XY-plane (dependent on time)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to compute geodesics using the Lagrangian method and the concept of canonical transformation. It is mentioned that there is no need to use the functional ##\int\sqrt{g_{ij}\dot x^i\dot x^j}dt## and instead, the geodesics can be determined using the functional ##\int g_{ij}\dot x^i\dot x^jdt## due to the energy integral and parametric invariance. The concept of canonical transformation is used to show that \dot q_x/L and \dot q_y/L are constants, which can be used to derive the equations for x(s) and y(s) in terms of arclength s
lambdajitsu
TL;DR Summary
Really stuck on this one. Any help (even a slight nudge in the right direction) would be greatly appreciated. Seems I am hitting a fundamental barrier in the Lagrangian formulation.

Attachments

• lagrangian.png
    lagrangian.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 220
Physics news on Phys.org
You have that [tex]
\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_x} = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\dot q_x}{\sqrt{\dot q_x^2 + \dot q_y^2}} = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\dot q_x}{L} = 0.[/tex] That tells you that [itex]\dot q_x/L[/itex] is a constant. Similarly [itex]\dot q_y/L[/itex] is constant, and since [itex](\dot q_x/L)^2 + (\dot q_y/L)^2 = 1[/itex] you can set [tex]
\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_x} = \frac{\dot q_x}L = \cos \alpha,\qquad
\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_y} = \frac{\dot q_y}L = \sin \alpha.[/tex] But now in terms of arclength [itex]s[/itex] you have [tex]
\frac{dx}{ds} = \frac{\dot q_x}{L} = \cos \alpha[/tex] so [itex]x(s) = x_0 + s\cos\alpha[/itex] and a similar result for [itex]dy/ds[/itex].

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes NTuft, lambdajitsu and (deleted member)
Is your solution above an example of a canonical transformation? I admit I don't quite get it yet, but I'm getting closer. Thank you very much for your help, btw.

Likes NTuft
Actually, there is no need to use functional ##\int\sqrt{g_{ij}\dot x^i\dot x^j}dt## to compute geodesics. Due to the energy integral ##g_{ij}\dot x^i\dot x^j=const## and parametric invariance , the geodesics can equivalently be determined from the functional
##\int g_{ij}\dot x^i\dot x^jdt##

• Informative
Likes NTuft, lambdajitsu and (deleted member)

Related to Lagrangian for straight line in XY-plane (dependent on time)

1. What is the Lagrangian for a straight line in the XY-plane?

The Lagrangian for a straight line in the XY-plane is given by L = mẋ + nẏ, where m and n are constants and ẋ and ẏ represent the velocities in the x and y directions, respectively.

2. How is the Lagrangian different from the equation for a straight line?

The Lagrangian takes into account the kinetic energy of the system, while the equation for a straight line only considers the position of the object. The Lagrangian also allows for more complex systems with multiple variables and constraints.

3. How is the Lagrangian used in physics?

The Lagrangian is used in physics to describe the dynamics of a system. It is used to derive the equations of motion for a system and can be used to find the minimum energy state of a system.

4. How does time affect the Lagrangian for a straight line in the XY-plane?

The Lagrangian for a straight line in the XY-plane is dependent on time, meaning that it takes into account the changes in position and velocity over time. This allows for a more accurate description of the system's dynamics.

5. Can the Lagrangian be used for systems other than a straight line in the XY-plane?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used for a wide range of systems, including curved paths, rotating objects, and systems with multiple particles. It is a powerful tool in physics for analyzing the dynamics of complex systems.