Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian of a photon?

1. Jul 11, 2015 #1
    I can't find this in any textbook, so I must not understand something about it. What is the Lagrangian of a photon? Would it be just h*nu?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2015 #2
    Photons have Spin 1. The general Lagrangian for Spin 1 particles is called the Proca Lagrangian and if put into the Euler Lagrange euquation yields the Proca equation. In addition, photons are massless. Therefore putting $m=0$ in the Proco yields the correct Lagrangian for photons. If you put this Lagrangian (i.e. the Proca with $m=0$ ) into the Euler Lagrange equation you get the inhomogeneous Maxwell equation.

You can find the Lagrangian, for example, here

4. Jul 11, 2015 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no such thing as the lagrangian of a photon. Photons are quantum excitations of the electromagnetic field, which has a Lagrangian, essentially the lagrangian quoted by unknown1111.

5. Jul 11, 2015 #4
    massless spin-1 = photon, carry only a kinitic term in L ;

\begin{equation}

L=-\frac{1}{4}F^{2}=-\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}=-\frac{1}{4}(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu})^{2}

\end{equation}

6. Jul 17, 2015 #5
    OK, then how does one calculate the action (S) for the amplitude of a photon?

phi = (const) exp[(i/h_bar)S]

7. Jul 17, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which part of
    was unclear? You need to specify exactly what it is you are trying to do.

8. Jul 17, 2015 #7
    Feynman & Hibbs, p. 29, eqn 2.15:

9. Jul 17, 2015 #8
    I can't seem to get the eqn editor to work.

Feynman & Hibbs, p.29, eqn 2.15: phi[x(t)] = const e^(I/h-bar)S[x(t)]

p.26: S = integral[L(x-dot,x,t) dt]

So if a photon has no Lagrangian, how does one calculate the action, amplitude, probability, etc. for a photon?

10. Jul 17, 2015 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't. You compute the action of the electromagnetic field and correlation functions (essentially amplitudes) between different excitations of the field.

11. Jul 17, 2015 #10

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also, you are here assuming that we have the book available and ready to open. This is not getting us anywhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook