Lagrangian of Pendulum: Calculation & Small Oscillations

In summary, the conversation discusses a pendulum of mass m and length b in a gravitational field where the point of attachment is horizontal and moves according to a function A(t) of time. The Lagrangian equation of motion is found and the equation of motion for small oscillations is given. It is mentioned that the system will be non-linear, but for small oscillations, the nonlinear terms can be dropped. The question also asks about the phase plot for the pendulum.
PhysicsGente

Homework Statement

Consider a pendulum of mass m and length b in the gravitational field whose point of attachment moves horizontally [tex]x_0=A(t)[/tex] where [tex]A(t)[/tex] is a function of time.

a) Find the Lagrangian equation of motion.
b) Give the equation of motion in the case of small oscillations. What happens in that case when [tex]A(t)=cos\left(\sqrt{\frac {a} {b}}t\right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] {\cal L} = T - U [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The position of the pendulum would be given by:

[tex] x = A(t) + bsin\left(\theta\right) [/tex] [tex] \dot{x} = \dot{A}(t) + b\dot{\theta}cos\left(\theta\right) [/tex]
[tex] y = bcos\left(\theta\right) [/tex] [tex] \dot{y} = -b\dot{\theta}sin\left(\theta\right) [/tex]

The kinetic energy [tex]T[/tex] would be equal to:

[tex] T = \frac {m} {2} \left({\dot{A}(t)}^2 + 2\dot{A}(t) b \dot{\theta} cos\left(\theta\right) + b^2\dot{\theta}^2\right) [/tex]

and taking the zero potential to be at [tex] x = 0 [/tex] I get that the potential is equal to :

[tex] U = -mgy = -mgbcos\left(\theta\right) [/tex]

And the Lagrangian would be:

[tex] {\cal L} = T - U = \frac {m} {2} \left({\dot{A}(t)}^2 + 2\dot{A}(t) b \dot{\theta} cos\left(\theta\right) + b^2\dot{\theta}^2\right) + mgbcos\left(\theta\right) [/tex]

I would like to know if I have represented the position of the pendulum the right way because I get a non-linear differential equation for part b and I doubt that's right. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure the system will be nonlinear. What you should assume is that the oscillations are small, θ << 1. Then you can, by construction, drop all the nonlinear terms.

May i know what will be the phase plot for the same? I mean how should i proceed to get the phase plot for the same pendulum as above.

1. What is the Lagrangian of a pendulum?

The Lagrangian of a pendulum is a mathematical function that describes the energy of the pendulum system in terms of its position and velocity. It is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the system will follow the path that minimizes its action, or the integral of its energy over time.

2. How is the Lagrangian of a pendulum calculated?

The Lagrangian of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula L = T - V, where T is the kinetic energy of the pendulum and V is its potential energy. The kinetic energy is equal to 1/2 times the mass of the pendulum times its velocity squared, while the potential energy is equal to the mass times gravity times the height of the pendulum. These values can be plugged into the formula to determine the Lagrangian.

3. What is the significance of calculating the Lagrangian of a pendulum?

Calculating the Lagrangian of a pendulum allows us to understand the dynamics of the system and how it will behave over time. It also allows us to solve for the equations of motion, which describe the position and velocity of the pendulum as it swings back and forth. This information is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of pendulums in various situations.

4. What is the difference between small oscillations and large oscillations in a pendulum?

Small oscillations refer to the motion of a pendulum when it swings back and forth with small amplitudes, meaning the angle of the pendulum's swing is relatively small. In this case, the motion can be described using a simple harmonic oscillator model. Large oscillations, on the other hand, occur when the pendulum swings with larger amplitudes, causing the motion to deviate from the simple harmonic oscillator model.

5. How does the Lagrangian change for small oscillations in a pendulum?

For small oscillations, the Lagrangian of a pendulum can be approximated to a simpler form, known as the linearized Lagrangian. This is achieved by assuming that the angle of the pendulum's swing is very small, which allows for simplification of the equations of motion. This linearized Lagrangian is useful for understanding the behavior of pendulums in small oscillations and can be used to solve for the pendulum's period and frequency.