Lagrangian subspaces of symplectic vector spaces

In summary, if (V, ω) is a symplectic vector space and Y is a linear subspace with dim Y = 1/2 dim V, then Y does not necessarily equal Yω where Yω is the symplectic complement. The question is unsolvable as stated and a counterexample can be shown in the case of ℝ4 with the standard symplectic basis.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

If [itex] (V,\omega) [/itex] is a symplectic vector space and Y is a linear subspace with [itex] \dim Y = \frac12 \dim V [/itex] show that Y is Lagrangian; that is, show that [itex] Y = Y^\omega [/itex] where [itex]Y^\omega[/itex] is the symplectic complement.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is driving me crazy since I don't think it should be that hard. If we try to go directly, the fact that [itex] \dim Y = \frac12 \dim V [/itex] implies that [itex] \dim Y^\omega = \frac12 \dim V [/itex]. At this point, it is actually sufficient to show that Y is either isotropic or co-isotropic, since dimensional arguments will give equality. However, I cannot see why this is the case.

On the other hand, if we assume that [itex] Y \neq Y^\omega [/itex] then without loss of generality, we may assume there exists [itex] w \in Y \setminus Y^\omega [/itex] (otherwise, relabel [itex] Y [/itex] and [itex] Y^\omega [/itex]). The space [itex] W = \operatorname{span}(w) [/itex] is isotropic so [itex] W \subseteq W^\omega [/itex] and since [itex] W \subseteq Y [/itex] then [itex] Y^\omega \subseteq W^\omega [/itex]. I would like to put this together somehow, but I'm having trouble doing it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind. I've concluded that the question as phrased was unsolvable. Indeed, consider [itex] \mathbb R^4 [/itex] with the standard symplectic basis [itex] \{x_i,y_i\} [/itex]. The subspace generated by x1 and y1 is two-dimensional, but is in fact symplectic rather than Lagrangian. Hence the statement cannot be true in general.

1. What is a Lagrangian subspace of a symplectic vector space?

A Lagrangian subspace is a vector subspace of a symplectic vector space that is closed under the symplectic bilinear form, meaning that the form maps any two vectors in the subspace to another vector in the subspace.

2. What properties do Lagrangian subspaces have?

Lagrangian subspaces have several important properties, including being maximal in dimension (meaning they cannot be extended to a larger Lagrangian subspace), having equal dimension to the symplectic vector space, and preserving the symplectic structure of the space.

3. How are Lagrangian subspaces related to Hamiltonian mechanics?

Lagrangian subspaces are an essential concept in Hamiltonian mechanics, as they provide a geometric framework for describing the dynamics of a system. Lagrangian subspaces correspond to the set of all possible initial conditions for a system, and the symplectic form captures the evolution of these initial conditions over time.

4. Can Lagrangian subspaces be used to solve systems of equations?

Yes, Lagrangian subspaces can be used to solve systems of equations in certain cases. In particular, they can be used to solve Hamilton's equations of motion, which describe the evolution of a system over time. However, not all systems of equations can be solved using Lagrangian subspaces.

5. How are Lagrangian subspaces related to other mathematical concepts?

Lagrangian subspaces are closely related to several other mathematical concepts, including symplectic manifolds, Poisson structures, and canonical transformations. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as differential geometry and topology.