Lame question about power of a signal that consists of impulses

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power for a signal consisting of impulses. It is explained that the power cannot be determined without knowing the current or resistance, and that the total power can be calculated by taking small slices of the waveform and applying the formula E^2/R. A mean value must be taken to get the average power.
alexei_kom
Hello everybody.

I'm appologizing for a lame question, but taking for example A*cos(w*t) (whose spectrum is two impulses each of 0.5A in magnitude)-his power is 0.5A^2.
It can be interpreted as a sum of squared magnitudes of its impulses.

So, if I have a signal which consists of impulses only can I calculate his power as a sum of squared magnitudes of its impulses?

Thanks,
Alexei.

Engineering news on Phys.org
alexei_kom said:
Hello everybody.

I'm appologizing for a lame question, but taking for example A*cos(w*t) (whose spectrum is two impulses each of 0.5A in magnitude)-his power is 0.5A^2.
It can be interpreted as a sum of squared magnitudes of its impulses.

So, if I have a signal which consists of impulses only can I calculate his power as a sum of squared magnitudes of its impulses?

Thanks,
Alexei.

A waveform A*cos(w*t) is just a sinewave with a peak amplitude of A and a frequency of w/2pi. So, it has a single frequency as its spectrum.
You can't say anything about the power unless you know the current being drawn or the resistance the voltage was being applied across.

Yes, you can work out the total power of a pulsed waveform by taking small slices of the waveform and, knowing the resistance of the load, applying E^2/ R to each one. You have to then take a mean value of all the measurements, including any zero values, to get the average power.

vk6kro said:
A waveform A*cos(w*t) is just a sinewave with a peak amplitude of A and a frequency of w/2pi. So, it has a single frequency as its spectrum.
You can't say anything about the power unless you know the current being drawn or the resistance the voltage was being applied across.

Yes, you can work out the total power of a pulsed waveform by taking small slices of the waveform and, knowing the resistance of the load, applying E^2/ R to each one. You have to then take a mean value of all the measurements, including any zero values, to get the average power.

Thank you!

1. What is the power of a signal that consists of impulses?

The power of a signal that consists of impulses is determined by the amplitude and frequency of the impulses. The power of an impulse is equal to the square of its amplitude, and the power of a signal that consists of multiple impulses is the sum of the powers of each individual impulse.

2. How do you calculate the power of a signal that consists of impulses?

To calculate the power of a signal that consists of impulses, you can use the formula: P = (A^2)/R, where P is the power, A is the amplitude of the impulse, and R is the resistance of the circuit. Alternatively, you can calculate the power by summing the powers of each individual impulse in the signal.

3. Can the power of a signal that consists of impulses be negative?

No, the power of a signal cannot be negative. Since power is equal to the square of the amplitude, it will always be a positive value. A negative amplitude would result in a positive power value.

4. How does the power of a signal that consists of impulses affect the overall strength of the signal?

The power of a signal that consists of impulses directly affects the overall strength of the signal. A higher power value indicates a stronger signal, while a lower power value indicates a weaker signal. This is because the power of a signal is proportional to the energy it carries.

5. Can the power of a signal that consists of impulses change over time?

Yes, the power of a signal that consists of impulses can change over time. This can happen if the amplitude or frequency of the impulses changes, or if new impulses are added to the signal. The power of a signal can also be affected by external factors such as interference or amplification.