Langley's Bolometer: 19th Century Tech & Its Uses

• Thread starter ChromeBit
  • Start date
In summary, the Langley bolometer is a 19th century device that uses two strips of platinum and a galvanometer. The galvanometer measures changes in temperature of one of the strips in response to incoming photons or particles, which alters the resistance and subsequently the current from an applied voltage. This device was used for astronomy and long-range measurements, and the resistance of platinum is highly sensitive to incoming radiation over large distances. The sensitivity of the galvanometer is dependent on its physical configuration rather than the specific material used.
ChromeBit
So I've read up a little bit on Langley's bolometer, a device made in the 19th century using two strips of platinum and a galvanometer. From what I can gather, a galvanometer works because the temperature of one of the strips changes in response to incoming photons (or other particles), and this alters the resistance... which alters the current from an applied voltage.

First of all am I correct (please tell me if I've got anything wrong)? Second of all, I'm aware Langley used this stuff for astronomy and long-range measurements, is the resistance of platinum really that sensitive to incoming radiation over such a huge distance? What is the property associated with this?

I also did some looking but could not find any values, how sensitive (to current) is the galvanometer used?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is Langley's Bolometer?

Langley's Bolometer is a scientific instrument invented in the 19th century by Samuel Pierpont Langley. It is used to measure the intensity of electromagnetic radiation, specifically infrared radiation.

2. How does Langley's Bolometer work?

The bolometer consists of a thin strip of metal, usually platinum, which is connected to a voltage source. When infrared radiation hits the strip, it heats up and its resistance changes, causing a change in voltage that can be measured. This change in voltage is proportional to the intensity of the radiation.

3. What were the main uses for Langley's Bolometer in the 19th century?

The bolometer was primarily used for astronomical observations to measure the intensity of infrared radiation from celestial bodies. It was also used in the study of heat transfer and radiation in physics experiments.

4. Is Langley's Bolometer still used today?

While newer technologies have been developed for measuring infrared radiation, the bolometer is still used in some scientific research, particularly in the fields of astronomy and climate science. It has also been adapted for use in thermal imaging cameras and other industrial applications.

5. What impact did Langley's Bolometer have on scientific understanding?

The invention of Langley's Bolometer greatly advanced the study of infrared radiation and its effects. It provided a more accurate and precise way to measure this type of electromagnetic radiation, leading to new discoveries in astronomy and physics. It also paved the way for further advancements in the field of infrared technology.