1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace D.E Problem

1. May 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2r7c9wy.png

2. Relevant equations

Laplace's transforms.

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so applying the Laplace on both sides yields:

[itex]s^2Y(s) - sy(0) - y'(0) + 2sY(s) - 2y(0) + 10Y(s) = ? + 13 / s - 1[/itex]

Is [itex] e^{-2s} / s[/itex] the Laplace [itex]\delta(t - 2)[/itex]? Our instructor gave us the result of the Lapace but he did not prove it. The only thing he gave us was that the Laplace of [itex]f(t - a)\delta(t - a) = e^{-as}F(s)[/itex]. Can someone point me on how to prove this? It seems our instructor told us that we need to know the proof without him giving it to us. I know that this unit step function is defined to be 0 when 0 <= t < 2 and 1 when t >= 2.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Are you sure ##\delta(t)## is the unit step function? It typically denotes the Dirac delta function.

4. May 27, 2012 #3
    Yes yes. I mixed up the function. Sorry about that.

So is the Laplace of [itex]\delta(t - 2)[/itex] typically [itex]e^{-2s} / s[/itex]?

5. May 27, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Which function are you talking about? If it's the delta function, then no, that's not correct. If it's the unit step, then that's right.

6. May 27, 2012 #5
    The delta function. Then is it simply [itex]e^{-2s}[/itex]?

If so, how to prove it starting with [itex]\int^\infty_0 e^{-st}\delta(t - a)dt = e^{as}[/itex]? The proof is apparently required for our exam yet our instructor failed to provide the solution.

7. May 27, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What's the defining property of the Dirac delta function?

8. May 27, 2012 #7
    ..that the [itex]\int^{a+e}_{a-e} f(t)\delta(t - a)dt = f(a)[/itex] for [itex]e > 0[/itex]?

I appreciate your patience but I'm relatively 'new' to this concept.

9. May 27, 2012 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup. Just apply that to the Laplace transform integral you have.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook