Laplace Eq with Dirichlet boundary conditions in 2D (solution check)

In summary, the conversation discusses the partial differential equation for the steady state temperature distribution in a flat metal sheet and how to find T(x,y) on a square flat plate with given boundary conditions. The solution involves separating the variables and summing over odd n to find the coefficient. The coefficient is a constant, not a function of x, and is the initial temperature. The expression for T(x,y) is a valid solution.
PhysicsMark

Homework Statement

The steady state temperature distribution, T(x,y), in a flat metal sheet obeys the partial differential equation:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2{T}}{\partial{x}^2}+{\frac{\partial^2{T}}{\partial{y}^2}}=0[/tex]

Separate the variables and find T everywhere on a square flat plate of sides S with boundary conditions:

[tex]T(0,y)=T(S,y)=T(x,0)=0[/tex]

[tex]T(x,S)=T_0[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For a solution, I get:

[tex]T(x,y)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{4T_0}{n\pi}sin(\frac{n\pi}{S}x)\frac{sinh(\frac{n\pi}{S}y)}{sinh(n\pi)}[/tex]

I am not sure if I have given a sufficient enough answer for the coefficient of the series. I got the coefficient by doing the following:

[tex]T(x,s)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}A_n{sin(\frac{n\pi}{S}x)}sinh(n\pi)=T_0[/tex]

[tex]B_n=A_n{sinh(n\pi)}[/tex]

[tex]B_n=\frac{2}{S}\int_{0}^{S}T_0{sin(\frac{n\pi}{S}x)}dx[/tex]

[tex]B_n=\frac{4{T_0}}{n\pi}[/tex] for "n" odd and 0 for "n" even.

Does anyone know if the coefficient is incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
If even [itex]n[/itex] coefficients are zero, why are you summing over both even and odd [itex]n[/itex] in your final solution?

Are you suggesting an index change? As in swapping out all n's to the right of sigma with m, where m = 2n?

Or changing the n's to n(n+1)?

Well, there are two common ways of doing this:

(1) Replace [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}[/tex] by [tex]\sum_{n=1,3,5,\ldots}^{\infty}[/tex]

(2) Replace [itex]n[/itex] by [itex]2n+1[/itex]...

[tex]T(x,y)=\sum_{n=1,3,5}^{\infty}\frac{4T_0}{n\pi}sin(\frac{n\pi}{S}x)\frac{sinh(\frac{n\pi}{S}y)}{sinh(n\pi)}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{4T_0}{(2n+1)\pi}sin(\frac{(2n+1)\pi}{S}x)\frac{sinh(\frac{(2n+1)\pi}{S}y)}{sinh((2n+1)\pi)}[/tex]

gabbagabbahey said:

(1) Replace [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}[/tex] by [tex]\sum_{n=1,3,5,\ldots}^{\infty}[/tex]

[tex]T(x,y)=\sum_{n=1,3,5}^{\infty}\frac{4T_0}{n\pi}sin(\frac{n\pi}{S}x)\frac{sinh(\frac{n\pi}{S}y)}{sinh(n\pi)}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{4T_0}{(2n+1)\pi}sin(\frac{(2n+1)\pi}{S}x)\frac{sinh(\frac{(2n+1)\pi}{S}y)}{sinh((2n+1)\pi)}[/tex]

First, I forgot to thank you for taking the time to reply. Thank you.

Gosh, I see. Sorry about the earlier post. I was thinking of only including the even numbers for some reason.

Would you say that what you have posted above is "as good as it gets"?

I was concerned about how I found the coefficient because I don't think I fully comprehend the term T_0. I read T_0 to be initial temperature. I assumed it was a constant, and treated it as such in the integration of it with the sine term.

My expression for T_0, indicates that it is a function of x.

Is it correct to interpret T_0 as the initial temperature?

If T_0 is a function of x, then are we talking about how the temperature changes from the initial temperature to a lesser temperature as we move away from the source of the initial temperature?

Hey, I think either way is correct. you could do from 1 to inf, and assume that the even numbers are 0, also, you could sum odd number. I followed your way to calculate the Bn, but I got the same answer as the PhysicsMark had.

gabbagabbahey said:

Hey, I think either way is correct. you could do from 1 to inf, and assume that the even numbers are 0, also, you could sum odd number. I followed your way to calculate the Bn, but I got the same answer as the PhysicsMark had.

PhysicsMark said:
Would you say that what you have posted above is "as good as it gets"?

Yes, everything else in your calculations is correct.

I was concerned about how I found the coefficient because I don't think I fully comprehend the term T_0. I read T_0 to be initial temperature. I assumed it was a constant, and treated it as such in the integration of it with the sine term.

My expression for T_0, indicates that it is a function of x.

I assume you are worried about the following expression?

PhysicsMark said:
[tex]T(x,s)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}A_n{sin(\frac{n\pi}{S}x)}sinh(n\pi)=T_0[/tex]

Keep in mind, that for [itex]0\leq x\leq S[/itex],

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{4}{(2n+1)\pi}\sin\left(\frac{(2n+1)\pi}{S}x\right)=1[/tex]

which is indeed a constant, not a function of [itex]x[/itex].

Christina2010 said:

The problem is that the expression

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{4T_0}{n\pi}sin(\frac{n\pi}{S}x)\frac{sinh(\frac{n\pi}{S}y)}{sinh(n\pi)}[/tex]

does not imply that the even terms are zero. You need to explicitly sum over only odd [itex]n[/itex].

gabbagabbahey said:
Keep in mind, that for [itex]0\leq x\leq S[/itex],

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{4}{(2n+1)\pi}\sin\left(\frac{(2n+1)\pi}{S}x\right)=1[/tex]

which is indeed a constant, not a function of [itex]x[/itex].

Ahh, I see. Thanks again.

1. What is the Laplace Equation?

The Laplace Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the steady-state behavior of a physical system. It is used to model various phenomena such as heat conduction, fluid flow, and electrostatics.

2. What are Dirichlet boundary conditions?

Dirichlet boundary conditions are a set of conditions that specify the values of the solution at the boundary of a region. These conditions are known as "boundary values" and are used to determine a unique solution to the Laplace Equation.

3. How do you solve the Laplace Equation with Dirichlet boundary conditions in 2D?

To solve the Laplace Equation with Dirichlet boundary conditions in 2D, you can use various numerical methods such as the finite difference method or the finite element method. These methods involve discretizing the region into a grid and solving the resulting system of equations.

4. What is the purpose of a solution check for the Laplace Equation with Dirichlet boundary conditions in 2D?

A solution check for the Laplace Equation with Dirichlet boundary conditions in 2D is used to verify the accuracy of the numerical solution. This involves comparing the computed solution to known analytical solutions or performing convergence tests to ensure that the solution is approaching the true solution.

5. What are some applications of the Laplace Equation with Dirichlet boundary conditions in 2D?

The Laplace Equation with Dirichlet boundary conditions in 2D has many applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used to model heat transfer in materials, fluid flow in pipes and channels, and the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It is also used in image and signal processing and in the study of harmonic functions.