What is the Steady State Solution for the Heat Equation in an Annulus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the heat equation in an annulus and the steady state solution using separation of variables. The solution is given as u(r,θ,t) = \alpha_0 + \beta_0 ln(r) + \sum (\alpha_n r^n + \beta_n r^{-n})(\gamma_n cos(n\theta) + \sigma_n sin(n\theta)), but after applying the boundary condition at r=b, the sine terms disappear, resulting in u(r,θ,t) = \alpha_0 + \beta_0 ln(r) + \sum (\alpha_n r^n + \beta_n r^{-n})cos(n\theta). This is due to the even nature of both boundary
joelcponte

Homework Statement

Heat equation in a annulus, steady state solution.

u(a,θ,t) = Ta
u(b,θ,t) = Tbcos(θ)

Homework Equations

Using separation of Variables

[itex]\frac{}{}\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{d r}(r\frac{d R}{d r}) + \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{d^2\Theta}{d \theta} = 0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found

u(r,θ,t) = [itex] \alpha_0 + \beta_0 ln(r) + \sum (\alpha_n r^n + \beta_n r^{-n})(\gamma_n cos(n\theta) + \sigma_n sin(n\theta)) [/itex]

but the answer is

u(r,θ,t) = [itex] \alpha_0 + \beta_0 ln(r) + \sum (\alpha_n r^n + \beta_n r^{-n})cos(n\theta)[/itex]

(this is before applying the boundary conditions)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct. The second solution is what you get after you apply the boundary condition at r=b.

Hi, I can't see how does the sin term disappear when I use the boundary condition at b =\

Actually, I was a little careless. What they did was to say that both boundary conditions are even functions of θ, so the solution must also be an even function of θ, which implies you can throw out the sine terms. So you're not exactly applying the boundary conditions yet, but you are using some information gleaned from them.

Oh, really? I didn't know that! Do you know anywhere I can read about it?

Thank you for your help!

Related to What is the Steady State Solution for the Heat Equation in an Annulus?

What is the Laplace equation in an annulus?

The Laplace equation in an annulus is a partial differential equation that describes the steady-state distribution of temperature or other quantities in a circular region with a hole in the middle.

What is the significance of the Laplace equation in an annulus?

The Laplace equation in an annulus is significant because it is a fundamental equation in mathematics and physics, and it has many real-world applications such as in heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electrostatics.

What are the boundary conditions for the Laplace equation in an annulus?

The boundary conditions for the Laplace equation in an annulus are that the temperature or other quantity is constant along the inner and outer boundaries of the annulus, and the rate of change of temperature or quantity is equal at all points along the boundaries.

How is the Laplace equation in an annulus solved?

The Laplace equation in an annulus can be solved using various analytical and numerical methods such as separation of variables, conformal mapping, and finite difference or finite element methods.

What are some practical applications of the Laplace equation in an annulus?

The Laplace equation in an annulus has many practical applications, including in the design of heat exchangers, flow around cylinders or spheres, and analysis of electric fields in cylindrical capacitors or coaxial cables.