1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Equation in a Annulus

1. Nov 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Heat equation in a annulus, steady state solution.

u(a,θ,t) = Ta
    u(b,θ,t) = Tbcos(θ)

2. Relevant equations

Using separation of Variables

[itex]\frac{}{}\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{d r}(r\frac{d R}{d r}) + \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{d^2\Theta}{d \theta} = 0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I found

u(r,θ,t) = [itex] \alpha_0 + \beta_0 ln(r) + \sum (\alpha_n r^n + \beta_n r^{-n})(\gamma_n cos(n\theta) + \sigma_n sin(n\theta)) [/itex]

but the answer is

u(r,θ,t) = [itex] \alpha_0 + \beta_0 ln(r) + \sum (\alpha_n r^n + \beta_n r^{-n})cos(n\theta)[/itex]

(this is before applying the boundary conditions)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your answer is correct. The second solution is what you get after you apply the boundary condition at r=b.

4. Nov 21, 2012 #3
    Hi, I can't see how does the sin term disappear when I use the boundary condition at b =\

5. Nov 21, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Actually, I was a little careless. What they did was to say that both boundary conditions are even functions of θ, so the solution must also be an even function of θ, which implies you can throw out the sine terms. So you're not exactly applying the boundary conditions yet, but you are using some information gleaned from them.

6. Nov 21, 2012 #5
    Oh, really? I didn't know that! Do you know anywhere I can read about it?

Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook