Laplace equation in polar coordinate

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a partial differential equation and nonhomogeneous boundary conditions. The problem includes two sets of solutions and the difficulty in finding coefficients due to the nonhomogeneous conditions. The conditions also cause confusion regarding the values of certain variables.
NapoleonZ
Urr+(1/r)*Ur+(1/r^2)*Uθθ=0

a<r<b, 0<θ<w

with the conditions
U(r,0)=U1
U(r,w)=U2
U(a,θ)=0
U(b,θ)=f(θ)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi NapoleonZ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
NapoleonZ said:
Urr+(1/r)*Ur+(1/r2)*Uθθ=0

a<r<b, 0<θ<w

with the conditions
U(r,0)=U1
U(r,w)=U2
U(a,θ)=0
U(b,θ)=f(θ)

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

I have got two sets of solutions

U(r,θ)=A*ln(r)+B*
U(r,θ)=(C*r^λ+D/r^λ)*(E*sinλθ+F*cosλθ)

My problem is the boundary conditions are nonhomogeneous, with which I cannot work out the coefficients.

NapoleonZ said:
I have got two sets of solutions

U(r,θ)=A*ln(r)+B*
U(r,θ)=(C*r^λ+D/r^λ)*(E*sinλθ+F*cosλθ)

My problem is the boundary conditions are nonhomogeneous, with which I cannot work out the coefficients.

Hi NapoleonZ! :smile:

i] I'm a little confused about the conditions … U(a,θ)=0 seems incompatible with U(r,0)=U1
and U(r,w)=U2, if the conditions are continuous

ii] Doesn't the condition U(a,θ)=0 make it fairly clear what E and F are (unless λ = 0)?

tiny-tim said:
Hi NapoleonZ! :smile:

i] I'm a little confused about the conditions … U(a,θ)=0 seems incompatible with U(r,0)=U1
and U(r,w)=U2, if the conditions are continuous

ii] Doesn't the condition U(a,θ)=0 make it fairly clear what E and F are (unless λ = 0)?

i] I'm confused too.
ii] No always, actually D=-C*a^(2n)

What is Laplace equation in polar coordinate?

The Laplace equation in polar coordinate is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the second derivatives of a function in polar coordinates. It is used to solve problems in physics and engineering, such as heat conduction and electrostatics.

What are the applications of Laplace equation in polar coordinate?

The Laplace equation in polar coordinate has various applications in physics and engineering, including heat conduction, electrostatics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in image and signal processing, as well as in finding the equilibrium state of a system.

How do you solve Laplace equation in polar coordinate?

To solve the Laplace equation in polar coordinate, you first need to express the equation in terms of polar coordinates. Then, you can use separation of variables, the method of images, or other techniques to find the solution. Boundary conditions must also be considered to find a unique solution.

What are the boundary conditions for Laplace equation in polar coordinate?

The boundary conditions for the Laplace equation in polar coordinate depend on the specific problem being solved. In general, these conditions specify the values or derivatives of the function at the boundaries of the region of interest. They are essential in finding a unique solution to the equation.

What is the Laplace equation in polar coordinate used for in physics?

The Laplace equation in polar coordinate is used in physics to describe the behavior of physical systems in a variety of fields, such as heat conduction, electrostatics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used to model the behavior of electromagnetic fields and to analyze the equilibrium state of a system.