Laplace Initial Value Problem with X and Y

In summary: X and 1 for Y. So it's easy to solve for Y.My Y(s) works, I have checked.In summary, the conversation is about solving a system of differential equations using the Laplace Transform method. One person is asking for help and another person is providing guidance on how to solve the equations using algebraic systems and the Laplace Transform method. There is some confusion about the steps and equations involved, but eventually a correct solution is found.
soniccowflash
Hello. I have gotten as far as to use the Laplace equation with these formulas, but I am having difficulty getting y and x to relate to each other. If requested, I can post my work, but I am sure it is fraught with mistakes. Help is very much appreciated!

x' + 2y' - x - 2y = e^t
x' - y' + x + y = 0

x(0) = 3, y(0) = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
Somebody please help!

Hi !

An quick help to begin :

Attachments

• Laplace method.JPG
    Laplace method.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 511
You are doing just about everything wrong! In the first place, this looks very much like homework so I am going to move it to that section. In the second place, yes, you should post your work.

Now, have you considered using basic "systems of algebraic equations" methods to get two equations, one with x' only, the other with y' only?

For example, if you subtract the second equation from the first, you eliminate x' leaving 3y'- 2x- 3y= e^t or y'= (2/3)x+ y+ e^t. If instead you add twice the second equation to the first, you eliminate y' leaving 3x'+ x= e^t.

I had intended to suggest that you use "systems of d.e." methods, perhaps matrix methods, at this point but now I see that the second equation, 3x'+ x= e^t, or x'= (-1/2)x+ e^t, is an equation in x only. Solve that equation for x, then put it back into the first equation to solve for y.

HallsofIvy said:
You are doing just about everything wrong! In the first place, this looks very much like homework so I am going to move it to that section. In the second place, yes, you should post your work.

Now, have you considered using basic "systems of algebraic equations" methods to get two equations, one with x' only, the other with y' only?

For example, if you subtract the second equation from the first, you eliminate x' leaving 3y'- 2x- 3y= e^t or y'= (2/3)x+ y+ e^t. If instead you add twice the second equation to the first, you eliminate y' leaving 3x'+ x= e^t.

I had intended to suggest that you use "systems of d.e." methods, perhaps matrix methods, at this point but now I see that the second equation, 3x'+ x= e^t, or x'= (-1/2)x+ e^t, is an equation in x only. Solve that equation for x, then put it back into the first equation to solve for y.

Of course, I know all that.
But the question was to solve the problem WITH THE LAPLACE MEHOD, not with the method that you propose.
I suppose the aim is to learn how to use the Laplace transforms, not to use the usual sustitution method or the matricial method, even if they are simpler.
So, I only show how to start and what it is expected to find at the end, for verification.

Yes, it is specifically asking to use the Laplace Transform, not algebraic systems. By using the Laplace Transform you do get an algebraic system though. At first I did make the mistake of looking at it in terms of algebra, but the answer looked very wrong. Not that bad of an idea though..just not Laplace.

And JJacquelin, did you use partial fractions? Thank you for the assistance!

How I started with Laplace:

sX(s) - x(0) + 2 sY(s) - y(0) - x(s) - 2 Y(s) = e^t

sX(s) - 3 + 2sY(s) - 0 - x(s)- 2Y(s) = (s-1)^-1

X(s)(s-1) + 2Y(s)(s-1) = (s-1)^-1 +3

X(s)(s-1) = (s-1)^-1 + 3 -2Y(s)(s-1)

X(s) = (s-1)^-2 + (3/s-1) - 2Y(s)

Right now I'm working on incorporating ^this equation into the second.

Ok so I tried working with equations 1 and 2, here's what I got:

sx(s) - x(0) - SY(s) - Y(0) + x(s) - Y(s) = 0

sx(s) -3 - SY(s) - 0 + x(s) - Y(s) = 0

x(s)(s+1) - Y(s)(s+1) = 3

x(s) = (3/s+1) + Y(s)

This is where I put x(s) = (s-1)^-2 + (3/s-1) - 2Y(s) in.

(1/(s-1)^2) + (3/s-1) - 2Y(s) = (3/s+1) + Y(s)

-3Y(s) = (3/s+1) - (1/(s-1)^2) - (3/s-1)

Y(s) = (-1/s+1) + (1/3(s-1)^2) + (1/s-1)

Now..I'm not sure what to do with this^ I guess I should find a common denominator then use partial fractions?

I think that you made a mistake somewhere. You are on the good track.
Compare your two equations to mine. The notations are :
F(s)=X(s) and G(s)=Y(s)

How did you know there was a mistake? And yup, our equations are the same.

I don't know where is the mistake, but I got not the same Y(s) :
X(s) = (9s-8)/((s-1)(3s+1))
Y(s) = (7s-5)/((s-1)²(3s+1))

Okay..yes. The problem is that with my Y(s), there is a (s+1) and (s-1) in the denominator, but you have (s-1)^2. So I'm not sure how to get two (s-1)'s in the bottom of Y(s) because:

sx(s) - x(0) - SY(s) - Y(0) + x(s) - Y(s) = 0

sx(s) -3 - SY(s) - 0 + x(s) - Y(s) = 0

x(s)(s+1) - Y(s)(s+1) = 3

x(s) = (3/s+1) + Y(s)

It's only a system of two linear equations :

Attachments

• Solving system.JPG
    Solving system.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 398

1. What is the Laplace Initial Value Problem with X and Y?

The Laplace Initial Value Problem with X and Y refers to a mathematical equation that involves finding the solution to a differential equation with initial conditions specified for both the independent variable, X, and the dependent variable, Y. It is named after the French mathematician Pierre-Simon Laplace who first studied this type of problem.

2. What is the importance of the Laplace Initial Value Problem with X and Y?

The Laplace Initial Value Problem with X and Y is important in many areas of science and engineering, particularly in the fields of physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows for the prediction of how a system will evolve over time, given a set of initial conditions. This is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of many real-world phenomena.

3. How is the Laplace Initial Value Problem with X and Y solved?

The Laplace Initial Value Problem with X and Y is solved using various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Laplace transforms, and series solutions. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy in the solution.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Laplace Initial Value Problem with X and Y?

The Laplace Initial Value Problem with X and Y has many practical applications, including in the fields of heat transfer, electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in the analysis of systems with constant input or boundary conditions, such as steady-state problems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Laplace Initial Value Problem with X and Y?

One limitation of the Laplace Initial Value Problem with X and Y is that it only applies to linear differential equations, meaning that the unknown function and its derivatives appear in the equation in a linear form. It also assumes that the initial conditions are known and constant over time, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.