Finding the Laplace Transform of sin(7t)u(t-3) with Step Response u(t)

In summary, to find the Laplace transform of v(t) = sin(7t)u(t-3), we use the time-shifting property of the Laplace transform to rewrite u(t-3) as u(t) with a shift of 3 units to the right. Then, we can apply the Laplace transform to the remaining sin(7t) term and multiply it by the time-shifted u(t) term. The final answer is 7e^(-3s)/(s^2+49).
Meadman23

Homework Statement

Find the laplace transform of:

v(t) = sin(7t)u(t-3)

Homework Equations

u(t) is step response

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that taken alone the laplace of:

sin(7t) is 7/(s^2+49)

u(t-3) is (1/s)*(e^-3s)I don't understand how I would figure out the answer to this problem if I have u(t-3). For some reason, seeing the u(t-3) rather than u(t) is really making things hard to understand since I don't know how u(t-3) would be integrated.I considered setting t-3 =x which would yield:

v(t) =sin(7x+21)u(x)

v(t) = sin(7x)cos(21) + cos(7x)sin(21)

Laplace = [7*cos(21) + s*sin(21)]/[s^2 + 49]

but I don't know if I'm that's the right answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Well, let's break this down step by step. First, let's consider the u(t-3) term. This is just a step response that is delayed by 3 units of time. So, we can rewrite it as u(t) with a shift of 3 units to the right, which means we can use the time-shifting property of the Laplace transform:

L[u(t-a)f(t-a)] = e^(-as)F(s)

In our case, a = 3, so we get:

L[u(t-3)f(t-3)] = e^(-3s)F(s)

Now, we can apply this to our original problem:

L[v(t)] = L[sin(7t)u(t-3)]

= e^(-3s) * L[sin(7t)]

= e^(-3s) * 7/(s^2+49)

= 7e^(-3s)/(s^2+49)

So, the final answer is 7e^(-3s)/(s^2+49). I hope this helps clarify the process for you!

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used in the field of engineering and physics to solve differential equations. It converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency, making it easier to solve problems involving time-dependent variables.

2. How is a Laplace transform different from a Fourier transform?

While both the Laplace transform and Fourier transform are used to convert functions between the time and frequency domains, the Laplace transform also takes into account the initial conditions of a system. This makes it more useful for solving differential equations in engineering and physics.

3. What are the benefits of using a Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform has several benefits, including the ability to solve differential equations with initial conditions, the ability to handle both continuous and discrete signals, and the ability to simplify complex equations into algebraic equations.

4. How do I perform a Laplace transform?

To perform a Laplace transform, you will need to use a specific formula that involves integrating the function of time multiplied by an exponential term. You can also use tables or software programs to help you with the calculations.

5. How is a Laplace transform used in real-world applications?

The Laplace transform is used in a variety of real-world applications, including electrical engineering, control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis. It is also used in physics to study systems with time-dependent variables, such as in quantum mechanics and thermodynamics.