Laplace Transform Practice Problems: Solving for t and Inverse Transform

• Thread starter riot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplace
In summary, the conversation is about the difficulties the speaker is having with two Laplace transform questions. The first question is t*e^t*sin(t) and the speaker has solved it to be (2s-2)/((s-1)^2+1)^2. The second question is L^-1{1/((s^2+1)(s-1)^2)} and the speaker initially got (e^s/8)-(s*e^s/4)-(e^-s/8)+(s^2*e^s/4) but then corrected it to cos(t)/2 - e^t/2 + te^t/2. The other person in the conversation helps to verify the first answer and
riot
hi,
i just started doing laplace transform n i have real trouble doing these two questions, anyhelp would be great...

L{te^t(sint)}
L^-1{1/((s^2+1)(s-1)^2)}

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some working.

Starting with the question may help...

for the first question t*e^t*sin(t) i got
(2s-2)/((s-1)^2+1)^2
and for the L^-1{1/((s^2+1)(s-1)^2)} i got
(e^s/8)-(s*e^s/4)-(e^-s/8)+(s^2*e^s/4)
...doesnt look right does it?

The first one is right, let me check the second.

Oh, the second is definitely not right. When you take the inverse laplace transform you should get a function of t only with no s. How did you try to do it?

oh yea sorry i mean to write t instead of s..my bad~!
but after looking at it again i got

cos(t)/2 - e^t/2 + te^t/2

i think this one is correct..anyway thanks for all your help :)

1. What is the Laplace transform and why is it useful for solving problems?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that is used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is useful for solving problems because it simplifies the process of solving differential equations and allows for the manipulation of complex functions.

2. How do I solve for t in a Laplace transform practice problem?

To solve for t in a Laplace transform practice problem, you can use the inverse Laplace transform. This is the reverse operation of the Laplace transform and converts a function from the frequency domain back to the time domain. You can use tables or formulas to find the inverse Laplace transform of a given function.

3. What are some common techniques for solving Laplace transform practice problems?

Some common techniques for solving Laplace transform practice problems include using the linearity property, using partial fraction decomposition, and using the convolution property. It is also important to have a good understanding of basic algebra and calculus concepts.

4. How can I check my answers when solving Laplace transform practice problems?

You can check your answers by using the properties of the Laplace transform. For example, you can use the inverse Laplace transform on your solution to see if it matches the original function. You can also use online tools or software to verify your answers.

5. Are there any tips for improving my skills in solving Laplace transform practice problems?

Some tips for improving your skills in solving Laplace transform practice problems include practicing regularly, understanding the properties and techniques, and seeking help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It is also important to have a solid understanding of the fundamentals of calculus and algebra.