Laplace Transforms to solve First Order ODE's.

In summary: I don't remember.(3) You should have used the Laplace transformation table for this question, not the frequency shift rule.
WrittenStars

Homework Statement

Solve the system of first order differential equations using Laplace Transforms:

dx/dt = x - 4y

dy/dt = x + y,
subject to the initial conditions x(0)=3 and y(0)=-4.

Homework Equations

So far I've used the limited knowledge of Laplace Transforms for first order ODE's to get this far:

L[x`] = L[x] - L[4y]
s*L[x] - x(0) = L[x] - L[4y]
s*L[x] - L[x] - 3 = -L[4y]
(s-1)*L[x] = 3 + L[4y] <--------- Equation 1

L[y'] = L[x] + L[y]
s*L[y] - y(0) = L[x] + L[y]
s*L[y] + 4 = L[x] + L[y]
(s-1)*L[y] = L[x] - 4 <----------Equation 2
or (s-1)*L[y] + 4 = L[x]

Up to this stage I am kind of confident I have been using Laplace Transforms right (from the couple of examples I have in a textbook I got from the library).

The Attempt at a Solution

The step where I become very confused is substituting equations 1 and 2 into one another to evaluate y(t) and x(t).

When I substitute (2) into (1) i get the following:
(s-1)[(s-1)*L[y] + 4] = 3 + L[4y]

From here I have probably tried 20 different ways of getting a solution for y(s) but every single one is very complicated and leads to a dead end for me (they are way too long to type). Because of this I suspect I am doing something wrong here [potentially I am even applying Laplace Transforms completely wrong!].

I am hoping someone knows where I am going wrong or what I'm doing wrong. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good so far. Remember that the Laplace transform is linear, so you can say L[4y]=4 L[y]. Then it's just basic algebra to isolate L[y]. You should get

[tex]L[y] = \frac{3-4(s-1)}{(s-1)^2-4}[/tex]

Keep in mind that L[4y]=4L[y]:wink:

EDIT: Vela beat me to it.:smile:

Thanks a lot for the replies guys, really appreciate it. Hmm I just made a small mistake in isolating L[y], I got that bit now thanks to your help!

I have worked at it and did get:
[3-4(s-1)] / [(s-1)^2 - 4]

It's what I do from here to get y(t) that's confusing me now. I can't seem to find a way to isolate y and get a general solution for it. Sorry I'm not great with maths yet, just starting and keen.

Last edited:
Just take the inverse Laplace transform of both sides of your equation now.

[tex]L^{-1}[L[y]]=y(t)=L^{-1}\left[\frac{3-4(s-1)}{(s-1)^2-4}\right][/tex]

I've simplified the numerator to get:

(7-4s) / [(s-1)^2 - 4]

From here I suspect I should break the expression up into 2 parts and compare them to the table of Laplace transformations (from other questions I've done). But I just can't find the right parts and Laplace transformations.

Rather than simplifying the numerator, you might start by applying the frequency shift rule:

[tex]L^{-1}\left[\frac{3-4(s-1)}{(s-1)^2-4}\right]=e^{-t}L^{-1}\left[\frac{3-4s}{s^2-4}\right][/tex]

Thanks, I didn't see that at all!

From there I have tried to now split the expression into 2 parts to use the Laplace Transformation table, by doing:

(e^-t)*(L^-1)[3/(s^2 - 2^2)*(L^-1)[-4s/(s^2 - 2^2)]
(e^-t)*[3/2](L^-1)[2/(s^2 - 2^2)*-4(L^-1)[s/(s^2 - 2^2)]

From here I used the two following Laplace transformations:
a/(s^2 + a^2) = sin(at) and s/(s^2 + a^2) = cos(at) to get:

(e^-t)*[3/2]sin(-2t)*-4cos(-2t)
-6(e^-t)*sin(-2t)*cos(-2t)

Not sure if this is right, but it's the best application for the Laplace transformation table for this question I could see.

WrittenStars said:
Thanks, I didn't see that at all!

From there I have tried to now split the expression into 2 parts to use the Laplace Transformation table, by doing:

(e^-t)*(L^-1)[3/(s^2 - 2^2)*(L^-1)[-4s/(s^2 - 2^2)]

Why are you multiplying your fractions together like this?

[tex]L^{-1}\left[f(s)+g(s)\right]=L^{-1}\left[f(s)\right]+L^{-1}\left[g(s)\right]\neq L^{-1}\left[f(s)\right]*L^{-1}\left[g(s)\right][/tex]

Sorry didn't even pick up on that, just a careless error! So it should be:

(e^-t)*[(L^-1)[3/(s^2 - 2^2)-(L^-1)[4s/(s^2 - 2^2)]]
(e^-t)*([3/2](L^-1)[2/(s^2 - 2^2)*-4(L^-1)[s/(s^2 - 2^2)])

From here I used the two following Laplace transformations:
a/(s^2 + a^2) = sin(at) and s/(s^2 + a^2) = cos(at) to get:

(e^-t)*([3/2]sin(-2t)-4cos(-2t))

There are a couple of errors that I missed...

(1) You should have [tex]L[y] = \frac{3-4(s-1)}{(s-1)^2+4}[/tex] not [tex]L[y] = \frac{3-4(s-1)}{(s-1)^2-4}[/tex]

(2) The frequency shift rule does not give exactly what I had posted earlier...can you figure out what it should be?:wink:

Related to Laplace Transforms to solve First Order ODE's.

What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations.

How is a Laplace transform used to solve first-order differential equations?

A Laplace transform can be applied to a first-order differential equation to convert it into an algebraic equation, making it easier to solve. The inverse Laplace transform is then used to obtain the solution in the time domain.

What are the advantages of using Laplace transforms to solve first-order ODEs?

Laplace transforms allow for the solution of differential equations with non-constant coefficients and non-homogeneous terms. They also provide a systematic and efficient method for solving complex differential equations.

What are some common applications of Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms are commonly used in electrical engineering, control systems, and signal processing to analyze and solve differential equations. They are also used in physics to study systems with continuous time evolution.

Are there any limitations to using Laplace transforms to solve ODEs?

While Laplace transforms are a powerful tool for solving differential equations, they may not always be applicable or suitable for all types of problems. In some cases, the inverse Laplace transform may be difficult to compute, and numerical methods may be required instead.