Laplace's Equation and the potential above the xy-plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential above the xy-plane and the task of verifying if it satisfies Laplace's equation, determining the electric field, and describing the charge distribution on the plane. The Laplacian operator is defined as the divergence of the gradient, and after taking the gradient twice, it is shown that the charge distribution on the plane is zero. This is confirmed by applying Gauss' law and creating a Gaussian surface over the specified region, which shows that the net charge is zero.
SquidgyGuff

Homework Statement

Essentially it gives the potential above the xy-plane as
gif.gif
and I am tasked with verifying it satisfies laplace's equation, determining the electric field, and describing the charge distribution on the plane.

Homework Equations

gif.gif
then
gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I can tell it does not satisfy laplace's equation because when I take the gradient of the potential twice I get
gif.gif
which is non-zero. So taking the second equation up there I found
gif.gif
and using the third I found
gif.gif

In the case of the electric field I would assume the field in the x direction wouldn't matter (or at least shouldn't be there) because it is parallel to the field, but I'm not really sure if I'm doing this correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
SquidgyGuff said:

Homework Statement

Essentially it gives the potential above the xy-plane as
gif.gif
and I am tasked with verifying it satisfies laplace's equation, determining the electric field, and describing the charge distribution on the plane.

Homework Equations

gif.gif
then
gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I can tell it does not satisfy laplace's equation because when I take the gradient of the potential twice I get
gif.gif
which is non-zero. So taking the second equation up there I found
gif.gif
and using the third I found
gif.gif

In the case of the electric field I would assume the field in the x direction wouldn't matter (or at least shouldn't be there) because it is parallel to the field, but I'm not really sure if I'm doing this correctly.
I think you are missing something here.

The Laplacian operator does not return a vector; it returns a scalar. The function φ here is a scalar function.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace's_equation

SteamKing said:
I think you are missing something here.

The Laplacian operator does not return a vector; it returns a scalar. The function φ here is a scalar function.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace's_equation

But when you take the gradient isn't it this?
al%20y%7D%5Cphi%5Chat%7By%7D+%5Cfrac%7B%5Cpartial%7D%7B%5Cpartial%20z%7D%5Cphi%5Chat%7Bz%7D.gif

So taking the couble gradient would be:
7D%20+%20%5Cfrac%7B%5Cpartial%5E%7B2%7D%7D%7B%5Cpartial%20z%5E%7B2%7D%7D%5Cphi%5Chat%7Bz%7D.gif

Or is the laplacian not strictly the double gradient? If there's no directionality then it does equal zero and there for the charge distribution on the plane is 0 and the field is 0 right?

SquidgyGuff said:
But when you take the gradient isn't it this?
al%20y%7D%5Cphi%5Chat%7By%7D+%5Cfrac%7B%5Cpartial%7D%7B%5Cpartial%20z%7D%5Cphi%5Chat%7Bz%7D.gif

So taking the couble gradient would be:
7D%20+%20%5Cfrac%7B%5Cpartial%5E%7B2%7D%7D%7B%5Cpartial%20z%5E%7B2%7D%7D%5Cphi%5Chat%7Bz%7D.gif

Or is the laplacian not strictly the double gradient? If there's no directionality then it does equal zero and there for the charge distribution on the plane is 0 and the field is 0 right?
The Laplacian is defined as the divergence of the gradient, or Δφ = div grad φ = ∇ ⋅ ∇φ = ∇2φ

Likes Chestermiller
SteamKing said:
The Laplacian is defined as the divergence of the gradient, or Δφ = div grad φ = ∇ ⋅ ∇φ = ∇2φ

SteamKing said:
Sorry about that last reply. Okay I get it now, so
7B%5Cpartial%7D%7B%5Cpartial%20y%7D%5Cphi%2C%5Cfrac%7B%5Cpartial%7D%7B%5Cpartial%20z%7D%5Cphi%3E.gif
which is then equal to
5E%7B2%7D%7D%5Cphi%20+%5Cfrac%7B%5Cpartial%5E%7B2%7D%7D%7B%5Cpartial%20z%5E%7B2%7D%7D%5Cphi.gif
. So would that mean the the charge distribution is 0?

SquidgyGuff said:
Sorry about that last reply. Okay I get it now, so
7B%5Cpartial%7D%7B%5Cpartial%20y%7D%5Cphi%2C%5Cfrac%7B%5Cpartial%7D%7B%5Cpartial%20z%7D%5Cphi%3E.gif
which is then equal to
5E%7B2%7D%7D%5Cphi%20+%5Cfrac%7B%5Cpartial%5E%7B2%7D%7D%7B%5Cpartial%20z%5E%7B2%7D%7D%5Cphi.gif
. So would that mean the the charge distribution is 0?
It would seem so.

I know a little about the math behind potential theory, but I'm not au fait with electrostatics. If anyone else wants to jump in here ...

Would that mean the charge distribution is zero?

Yes.

A good way to check this is to apply Gauss' law to the electric field you calculated. It is extremely simple to show that the divergence of E goes to zero in this case, so that automatically implies that net charge is zero.

You stated in your initial post that the field above the xy-plane is given. Gauss' law allows us to create a Gaussian surface over the area of this region, so showing that ∇⋅E goes to zero shows us that there is no charge enclosed in the surface. This simply implies that the electric field (and thus the potential) is due to some charge distribution outside of the specified region or is simply an external field that is applied.

Gauss' law can be tricky like this sometimes, but it is helpful to think of the integral form, noting that ∫E⋅dA = QEnclosed0. This integral is around a surface (the Gaussian surface) so when you use the law to calculate the total charge, you are finding the total charge enclosed in the region. So what you have shown (correctly) is that the total charge distribution in this region is zero.

Note: If any of this isn't explained well, others feel free to jump in and correct me or elaborate.[/QUOTE]

Yosty22 said:
Would that mean the charge distribution is zero?

Yes.

A good way to check this is to apply Gauss' law to the electric field you calculated. It is extremely simple to show that the divergence of E goes to zero in this case, so that automatically implies that net charge is zero.

You stated in your initial post that the field above the xy-plane is given. Gauss' law allows us to create a Gaussian surface over the area of this region, so showing that ∇⋅E goes to zero shows us that there is no charge enclosed in the surface. This simply implies that the electric field (and thus the potential) is due to some charge distribution outside of the specified region or is simply an external field that is applied.

Gauss' law can be tricky like this sometimes, but it is helpful to think of the integral form, noting that ∫E⋅dA = QEnclosed0. This integral is around a surface (the Gaussian surface) so when you use the law to calculate the total charge, you are finding the total charge enclosed in the region. So what you have shown (correctly) is that the total charge distribution in this region is zero.

Note: If any of this isn't explained well, others feel free to jump in and correct me or elaborate.
[/QUOTE]
Thank y'all so much! Just needed to make sure my reasoning was sound :)

1. What is Laplace's Equation?

Laplace's Equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of potential fields, such as electric or gravitational fields. It is a second-order partial differential equation that relates the second derivatives of a function to itself.

2. What is the potential above the xy-plane?

The potential above the xy-plane refers to the potential of a field at a point above the xy-plane in three-dimensional space. This potential is calculated using Laplace's Equation and is dependent on the distribution of sources or charges in the field.

3. How is Laplace's Equation used in physics?

Laplace's Equation is used in physics to model and analyze potential fields. In electromagnetism, it is used to calculate the electric potential and in gravitation, it is used to calculate the gravitational potential. It is also used in fluid dynamics to calculate the velocity potential.

4. What is the significance of the solution to Laplace's Equation?

The solution to Laplace's Equation gives us the potential at any point in a potential field. This is important in understanding the behavior of the field and predicting the motion of particles or objects in the field. It also allows us to determine the equilibrium state of a system.

5. Are there any applications of Laplace's Equation in engineering?

Yes, Laplace's Equation has numerous applications in engineering. It is used in designing and analyzing electrical circuits, heat transfer systems, and fluid flow systems. It is also used in solving boundary value problems in engineering, such as determining the stress distribution in a solid object.