1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace's equation on an annulus with Nuemann BCs

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve Laplace's equation inside a circular annulus [itex](a<r<b)[/itex] subject to the boundary conditions [itex]\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{r}}(a,\theta) = f(\theta)\text{, }\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{r}}(b,\theta) = g(\theta)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Assume solutions of the form [itex]u(r,\theta) = G(r)\phi(\theta)[/itex]. This leads to an equation for phi and G, both of which can be solved by substitution:

[tex]
    \frac{d^2\phi}{{d\theta}^2} = -\lambda^2\phi
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \phi = A\cos{\lambda\theta} + B\sin{\lambda\theta}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    r^2\frac{d^2G}{{dr}^2} + r\frac{dG}{dr} - n^2G = 0
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    G = c_{1n}r^{-n} + c_{2n}r^n\text{ for } n\ne0
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    G = c_{10} + c_{20}\ln(r)\text{ for } n=0
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Periodic boundary conditions require that u and its derivative with respect to theta be continuous between -pi and pi. Then means [itex]\lambda = n[/itex] for all n greater than or equal to zero. We can write,

[tex]
    u(r,\theta) = &\, A_{01} + A_{02}\ln(r) + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(A_{n1}r^n + A_{n2}r^{-n})\cos{n\theta} + (B_{n1}r^n + B_{n2}r^{-n})\sin{n\theta}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial{u(r,\theta)}}{\partial{r}} = &\, A_{02}r^{-1} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(nA_{n1}r^{n-1} + -nA_{n2}r^{-n-1})\cos{n\theta} + (nB_{n1}r^{n-1} - nB_{n2}r^{-n-1})\sin{n\theta}
    [/tex]

I know that I can set everything in parentheses in front of the cosines and sines above equal to some constant when I set r=a,b to enforce the boundary conditions on the edge of the annulus. This leaves me with two equations in two unknowns for all the A's and B's with n greater than 1. My problem is how to set [itex]A_{02}[/tex] such that it will work at both boundaries. It seems like I really need two constants to match to the boundary for when [tex]n=0[/tex]. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2008 #2
    Can anyone help?

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3
    Really? It seems like a simple problem...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?