Does Laplace's Equation Apply to Infinite Boundary Conditions and Fourier Transforms?

In summary, the solution to Laplace's equation uxx + uyy = 0 on the region -inf <= x <= inf, 0 <= y <= 1 with boundary conditions u(x,0) = 0, u(x,1) = f(x), and limit as x tends to inf of u(x,y) = 0 is given by u(x,y) = F-1(sinh(wy)f(hat)/sinh(wy)). The solution was found by using Fourier transforms in x, resulting in the function u(hat)(w,y) = Aeky + Be-ky. The third boundary condition was used in taking the Fourier transform, as it assumed that the transform existed.
squenshl

Homework Statement

Consider Laplace's equation uxx + uyy = 0 on the region -inf <= x <= inf, 0 <= y <= 1 subject to the boundary conditions u(x,0) = 0, u(x,1) = f(x), limit as x tends to inf of u(x,y) = 0.
Show that the solution is given by u(x,y) = F-1(sinh(wy)f(hat)/sinh(wy))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Fourier transforms in x.
I got u(hat)(w,y) = Aeky + Be-ky
In Fourier space:
u(hat)(w,0) = F(0) = 0
u(hat)(w,1) = f(hat)(w)
But u(hat) is a function of y. My question is how do I apply the 3rd boundary condition (as this is the limit as x(not y) tends to inf) to u(hat)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it meant to be limit as y tends to inf not x.

squenshl said:
I used Fourier transforms in x.
I got u(hat)(w,y) = Aeky + Be-ky

You mean [itex]\hat{u}(\omega,y)=Ae^{\omega y}+Be^{-\omega y}[/itex], right? :wink:

My question is how do I apply the 3rd boundary condition (as this is the limit as x(not y) tends to inf) to u(hat)

You already used it. If [tex]\lim_{x\to\pm\infty} u(x,y)\neq 0[/itex], its Fourier transform (from [itex]x[/itex] to [itex]\omega[/itex]) might not exist (the integral could diverge).

Very true. That is what I meant.
But when did I use this boundary condition?

squenshl said:
But when did I use this boundary condition?

When you took the FT of [itex]u(x,y)[/itex], and hence assumed that it existed.

What is Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation is a partial differential equation that describes the distribution of a scalar quantity in a given region. It is named after the French mathematician and astronomer, Pierre-Simon Laplace.

What are the applications of Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some examples include the study of heat conduction, electrostatics, fluid dynamics, and potential theory.

What are the conditions for a solution to Laplace's equation?

In order for Laplace's equation to have a solution, the function must be continuous and have continuous first and second derivatives in the given region. It also requires the boundary conditions to be specified.

How is Laplace's equation solved?

Laplace's equation is typically solved using various techniques such as separation of variables, the method of images, and the use of Green's functions. Numerical methods can also be used to approximate solutions.

What is the significance of Laplace's equation in physics?

Laplace's equation is a fundamental equation in physics, as it governs many physical phenomena such as the flow of electricity, heat transfer, and gravitational potential. It also has important implications in understanding the behavior of physical systems and in engineering applications.