Laptop Power Supply: How to Charge Battery Externally

In summary, Tad is looking for help on how to use a laptop's charger to charge an old DELL laptop battery that he is using to power his handheld radio. He is having trouble getting the charger to work and is wondering if the computer needs to signal it to turn on. Bob suggests using a series resistor to get the battery charging at half the current limit. Tad tries it and is successful in charging the battery. He thanks Bob for the help and mentions his ham radio call sign.
tdougherty08
Greetings,

Does anyone know how to use a laptop's charger to externally charge its battery? I am using a battery from an old DELL laptop to power my handheld radio. I wish to use the charger that came with the computer to rejuvenate the battery, however, the charger circuitry is smarter than I. Only two wires come from the supply (+,-). The batteries are fully discharged and the chargers green light is on, but there is no charging current or voltage. Some how the computer must signal the supply to turn on or something. Can anyone help me to figure out how to use this supply?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The charger voltage regulator has a built-in current limit , and it may of the fold-back variety to limit power dissipation. I don't understand why the charger light is green- maybe it just means that it is plugged in. You might put a series resistor between the charger and battery. The resistance should be roughly the nominal (nameplate) charger output voltage divided by half the current limit on the charger. Be sure to get a high enough wattage resistor. Measure the voltage drop across the resistor. If it is the nameplate voltage, the battery is being charged at half the current limit.
Bob S

Thanks for the quick reply Bob, I'll give it shot this afternoon and if it works I will let you know.
-Tad

Bob,

Here's what I did. I hooked up (for power dissipation reasons) a brake light bulb 25w I had laying around and now I have a charging current of around 1.38A and the charging voltage is right where it needs to be 19.-- v . Thanks for the heads up.

-Tad
KI6ZAO Ham

1. How do I charge my laptop's battery externally?

To charge your laptop's battery externally, you will need to purchase a compatible laptop power supply or charger. Once you have the correct charger, simply plug it into a power outlet and connect it to your laptop. Make sure the charger is securely connected and charging indicator lights should appear on your laptop.

2. Can I charge my laptop's battery without using the laptop itself?

Yes, it is possible to charge your laptop's battery without using the laptop itself. This can be done by using an external charging device such as a universal laptop battery charger or by purchasing a specific external battery charger for your laptop model.

3. Is it safe to charge my laptop's battery externally?

As long as you are using a compatible and reputable external charger, it is generally safe to charge your laptop's battery externally. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use the correct charger for your specific laptop model to avoid potential damage or safety hazards.

4. How long does it take to charge a laptop's battery externally?

The charging time for a laptop's battery when charged externally can vary depending on the charger and the battery's current level. On average, it can take anywhere from 1-4 hours to fully charge a laptop's battery externally.

5. Can I use my laptop while charging the battery externally?

Yes, you can typically use your laptop while charging the battery externally. However, it is important to note that using your laptop while charging may slow down the charging process and can also cause the battery to heat up, potentially reducing its lifespan. It is recommended to use your laptop on a flat surface and avoid using power-intensive tasks while charging the battery externally.