What are the geological features surrounding the recent Australian earthquake?

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthquake
In summary: The Central Ranges are a mountain range in the far north-west of the Australian continent. The range is named after its central peak, Mount Tennant. The Central Ranges are a sub-range of the Australian Alps.The Central Ranges are a mountain range in the far north-west of the Australian continent. The range is named after its central peak, Mount Tennant. The Central Ranges are a sub-range of the Australian Alps.The Central Ranges are a mountain range in the far north-west of the Australian continent. The range is named after its central peak, Mount Tennant. The Central Ranges are a sub-range of the Australian Alps.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
Hi guys and gals

The Australian doesn't get too may quakes M5 and up. On average one every approx. 4-5 years
The latest occurred this morning, 04:14:02 EST, 21st May ( local time) recorded as a M 6.1 by
Geoscience Australia ( GA is the Australian Govt. Institute for monitoring such activity.. equiv of the USGS)

The even is located in the SW corner of the Northern Territory state and some 2250 km from my location

20 May 2016 @ 18:14:02 Lat -25.474, Long 129.780 and 9 km deep

location map shows it approx. 80 km west of the tourist town of Yulara near the rock formation of Uluru ( Ayers Rock) so far in the 12 hours following the event, there have been 16 aftershocks measuring between M 2.5 and M 3.8 recorded

160520 1814UT M 6.0 and ashks SW Nthrn Territory. Australia.JPG

the long period seismogram from my recorder ( this event was well recorded on all my sensors
long and short period ones
160520 1814UT M6.0 SW Nthrn Territory Australia zhi.gif

cheers
Dave

Likes 1oldman2, Astronuc and Drakkith
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Interesting. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10005iyk#general
USGS puts it at Mag 5.9, with aftershocks of 4.2 and 4.4

Depth: 10.0 km (6.2 mi)

• 329.0 km (204.4 mi) E of Warburton, Australia
  • 460.0 km (285.8 mi) WSW of Alice Springs, Australia
  • 1001.0 km (622.0 mi) ENE of Kalgoorlie, Australia
  • 1091.0 km (677.9 mi) NW of Port Augusta West, Australia
  • 1341.0 km (833.3 mi) NW of Adelaide, Australia
There is no summary for the region. I wonder if there is some elevation change out there.

Likes davenn
Astronuc said:
Interesting. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10005iyk#general
USGS puts it at Mag 5.9, with aftershocks of 4.2 and 4.4

yeah, I'm starting to have less and less trust in the USGS/NEIC for magnitude determinations of late
The magnitude estimates seem to be really screwball for events that are well outside their main monitoring regions

The M6.7 and 6.8 events in Ecuador last week are a prime example of complete inconsistence in their magnitude estimates
For places like Australia and New Zealand ( where there are excellent local organisations) I will always prefer to go with their
posted magnitudes as those local organisations have high densities of recording stations to draw data from.

Now, back to the Australian event and its aftershocks. Geoscience Australia has reported only one aftershock reaching or exceeding M4
and that was a M 4.1. Three other events reached M 3.8

Here's a list of aftershocks for the first 24 hours .. a reasonably active sequence

160520 1814UT M 6.0 and ashks SW Nthrn Territory. Australia1.jpg
Astronuc said:
There is no summary for the region. I wonder if there is some elevation change out there.

It would be interesting to see if the main event caused any surface faulting. If there is any, it wouldn't be too difficult to see across the desert floor from a low level helicopter flight over the area.
The pic below is typical of the look of the region. This is Uluru ( Ayres Rock) and the quake was around 80km west of here

2014_12_28_2481sm.jpg
Dave

So, the earthquakes have been occurring in the Central Ranges region.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Ranges

Information on the area is sparse - as is the population. I was wondering how the range(s) relate to the Petermann, Mann, Musgrave and McDonnell ranges.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petermann_Ranges_(Australia)

Mt. Whinham is to the south, and Mt. Woodroffe to the southeast.

I'm guessing that the Musgrave range splits into the Mann and Petermann ranges as one goes NW. The earthquakes seem to be in a basin between Mann and Petermann ranges. What are the features east of the earthquakes? I can't find names on any map.

What is the definition of a "Large Australian Earthquake"?

A "Large Australian Earthquake" is a seismic event that occurs within the boundaries of Australia and measures at least 6.0 on the Richter scale.

How often do "Large Australian Earthquakes" occur?

On average, there are about 2-3 "Large Australian Earthquakes" per year. However, the frequency can vary depending on the location and activity of tectonic plates.

What are the potential impacts of a "Large Australian Earthquake"?

A "Large Australian Earthquake" can cause significant damage to infrastructure, buildings, and homes. It can also result in loss of life, injuries, and disruption of essential services such as electricity and water supply.

Can scientists predict when a "Large Australian Earthquake" will occur?

No, scientists cannot predict exactly when a "Large Australian Earthquake" will occur. However, they can monitor seismic activity and provide warning systems to help mitigate the impacts.

What steps can individuals take to prepare for a "Large Australian Earthquake"?

It is essential to have an emergency plan in place and to know how to respond during and after an earthquake. This includes identifying safe places to take cover, having emergency supplies, and knowing how to shut off utilities. It is also crucial to stay informed about earthquake updates and follow evacuation orders if necessary.