What causes the angular fringes in laser light pictures?

In summary, the speckles are probably just the diffraction pattern of the laser combined with a reflection and interference effect from the multiple lenses of the camera.
papernuke
I was reading the wikipedia page on laser light, and on a linked article, I saw this image:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ance_Battalion_in_"Commando"_Training_(2).jpg

What is causing those red specks to appear? I'm thinking it's the dust on the out side of the camera lens, but then why would some of the specks seem to be so in-focus? While the camera is focusing quite a few meters away.

Science news on Phys.org
I've never seen anything like that before. Usually, there's just a lens flare. Do you know whether it was a digital or film camera? Given the shape of those spots, I actually thought initially that it was the result of a planetarium galaxy display superimposed upon the original photo.

I think it's just the diffraction pattern of the laser combined with a reflection and interference effect from the multiple lenses of the camera.

Bobbywhy said:
As for the bright splotches off to the right-hand side, I’ve no idea.

I'm guessing it's internal reflections or something like that. IE laser light reflecting off the sensor, then off the glass and back onto the sensor.

The speckles are naturally visible you don't need any lenses or other optical devices
you eyes will see them quite happily.
If you get close into line with the laser light ( but not directly...for eye safety reasons) you will easily see the speckle pattern surrounding the main bright core of the beam.
I work with lasers and see this on a daily basis

Dave

The radial peaks look suspiciously like etalon fringes, maybe inside the retina or inside/between the camera lenses. Perhaps the angular fringes happen as a result of the camera set at a very high f-stop- at this setting, the aperture (being made of overlapping blades) becomes less like a circle and more like a polygon, which causes the light to diffract along many discrete angles.

^^ all that is speculation

MikeyW said:
The radial peaks look suspiciously like etalon fringes, maybe inside the retina or inside/between the camera lenses. Perhaps the angular fringes happen as a result of the camera set at a very high f-stop- at this setting, the aperture (being made of overlapping blades) becomes less like a circle and more like a polygon, which causes the light to diffract along many discrete angles.

^^ all that is speculation

I think you're right. A bit like Newton's rings but, with more coherent light (laser), the same sort of diffraction effect can occur with much bigger path differences.

1. What is a laser light picture?

A laser light picture is an image created by using a laser beam to project light onto a surface. The laser beam is controlled and directed to create a specific image, similar to a traditional painting or photograph.

2. How does a laser light picture work?

A laser light picture works by using a laser beam to excite atoms in a material, causing them to emit light. The beam is directed onto a surface and scanned over the desired area, creating an image through a series of points of light.

3. What are the applications of laser light pictures?

Laser light pictures have a wide range of applications, including in art, advertising, and entertainment. They can also be used in scientific and medical fields for precise imaging and measurements.

4. Are laser light pictures safe?

In general, laser light pictures are safe as long as proper precautions are taken. The lasers used are typically low power and do not pose a significant risk to human health. However, it is important to follow safety protocols and use appropriate protective gear when working with lasers.

5. How is a laser light picture different from a traditional photograph?

A laser light picture is different from a traditional photograph in that it is not captured on film or a digital sensor. Instead, the image is created through the use of a laser beam and does not require a physical medium. This allows for more flexibility and creativity in the image creation process.