Understanding the Negative Sign in Laser Linewidth Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of frequency and linewidth in relation to wavelength, and the concept of negative values for frequency and linewidth. The conclusion is that the minus sign in the equation is necessary to account for the direction of change in frequency and linewidth.
dziech
Hi guys,

It's one of the questions I'm asking myself needlessly but I really wonder about this ;)

Say I have a laser at a wavelength λ. I can calculate the frequency by ν=c/λ. Then the linewidth Δν=cΔλ/λ2 that can be found through differentiation of two sides of the equation. The question is, where does the minus go though? It should be Δν=-cΔλ/λ2 should it not? I can't think of what does the negative physically mean here and that's my question.

Science news on Phys.org
If the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, hence the minus sign. That's all !

Am I just thinking of this the wrong way? I mean, Δν is a linewidth in frequency. Say it's 60GHz, the Δλ should be like 0.2nm at 1um, but it would be -0.2nm wouldn't it? Or should I think of it as Δν change in linewidth? But that doesn't make obvious sense to me. It's one of the questions I should probably not think about too much but my brain keeps doing things to me ;D

differences have a sign: a-b = -(b-a)

width is an absolute value of a difference

That clicked! :D I can finally sleep peacefully ;) Thanks!

Likes BvU

1. What is laser linewidth?

Laser linewidth is a measure of the spectral width of a laser beam. It is the range of frequencies present in the laser beam and is typically expressed in units of Hertz (Hz).

2. How is laser linewidth calculated?

Laser linewidth can be calculated using various methods, but the most common approach is to measure the full-width at half-maximum (FWHM) of the laser's spectral output using a spectrometer or optical spectrum analyzer. This value is then converted to a frequency using the laser's central wavelength.

3. What factors affect laser linewidth?

Several factors can affect laser linewidth, including the laser's gain medium, temperature, and operating current. Other external factors such as mechanical vibrations and fluctuations in the power supply can also contribute to linewidth broadening.

4. Why is laser linewidth important?

Laser linewidth is an important parameter in many applications, especially in high-precision measurements and communications systems. A narrow linewidth is desirable as it allows for better resolution and accuracy in measurements, as well as improved signal quality in communications.

5. How can laser linewidth be reduced?

To reduce laser linewidth, various techniques can be used, such as stabilizing the laser's temperature and operating current, using high-quality optical components, and implementing active feedback systems to compensate for external disturbances. Additionally, using a laser with a narrower gain bandwidth can also help reduce linewidth.