Mass of Steam Needed for 1kg of Ice to Yield 20°C Water

In summary, to yield liquid water at 20°C, you need to add a certain mass of steam at 100°C to 1.ookg of ice. To calculate this mass, use the equation c*m*ΔT=m*L, where L is the latent heat of fusion (3.3 x 10^5 J/kg). Solve for the mass of steam by isolating the m variable that relates to steam.
heelp
what mass of steam at 100 c must be added to 1.ookg of ice to yeild liquid water 20c ?

this is what I have so for c*m* displacement of temperature =m *L

Physics news on Phys.org
You should know L (which I believe is 3.3 x 10^5 J/kg). Which is the Latent Heat of Fusion. You are given the mass of ice, change in temperature. Just solve for the second m in your equation. Which I'm assuming in the mass of the steam. When you have two of the same variables on each side of the equal sign, it looks confusing. Please denote "m of what".

Last edited:
m is the mass

I know that m is the mass. But you have an m on each side of the equal sign. What I'm asking you to state is the "mass of what". In your equation just solve for the m that relates to steam.

What is the formula for calculating the mass of steam needed for 1kg of ice to yield 20°C water?

The formula for calculating the mass of steam needed for 1kg of ice to yield 20°C water is:

ms = mi x (Lf + Cp x (Tf - Ti)) / (hfg x (Tf - Ti))

where:

ms = mass of steam (kg)

mi = mass of ice (kg)

Lf = latent heat of fusion for water (334 kJ/kg)

Cp = specific heat capacity of water (4.186 kJ/kg·K)

Tf = final temperature (20°C)

Ti = initial temperature (-10°C)

hfg = specific enthalpy of vaporization for water (2257 kJ/kg)

What assumptions are made in the calculation of the mass of steam needed?

The calculation assumes that the ice is initially at a temperature of -10°C and the steam is at a temperature of 100°C, and that the process is occurring at standard atmospheric pressure.

What is the purpose of calculating the mass of steam needed for 1kg of ice to yield 20°C water?

The purpose of this calculation is to determine the amount of energy (in the form of steam) needed to melt a given amount of ice and raise the resulting water to a desired temperature.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated mass of steam needed?

The accuracy of the calculated mass of steam can be affected by variations in the properties of water (such as specific heat capacity and latent heat of fusion), as well as changes in atmospheric pressure and temperature.

How can the calculated mass of steam needed be used in practical applications?

The calculated mass of steam can be used in practical applications such as determining the energy requirements for melting ice in industrial processes, designing heating and cooling systems, and understanding the thermodynamics of phase changes in water.