Discover the LaTeX Mobile Decoder on Detexify for Mathematical Symbols

In summary, a user shared a website called Detexify on Slack where you can draw a mathematical symbol and get its corresponding LaTeX code. However, it has been mentioned before on PF and there are other resources available such as a symbol filter and a wikibook on LaTeX. Some users find it helpful, but others feel that it only searches for symbols with a similar name and may not always provide accurate results.
scottdave
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Somebody on the Slack for one of my online classes shared this interesting mobile website where you can draw a mathematical symbol and get the LaTeX equivalent. http://detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for sharing, but it has been mentioned at PF before:
pwsnafu said:
Try detexify
lauraofrohan said:
There's a website called detexify that's sometimes helpful, and I also have used the wikibook on LaTeX a lot.
HakimPhilo said:
Why not just start using Detexify? You draw a symbol and it will provide you with its LaTeX code.
Gullik said:
Detexify. You can draw symbols and you get latex code from that.

http://detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html
DrClaude said:
Check out Detexify.

Likes scottdave
DrClaude said:
Thanks for sharing, but it has been mentioned at PF before:
Cool. I did search for the term LaTeX before posting. Of course there were a ton of result hits from that.

Very cool, but in a lot of ways the simple symbol filter is much quicker unless of course you don't know what the symbol is called, but what are the odds of that?

Greg Bernhardt said:
the simple symbol filter
?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Ok. Looking at it, I don't see the point. It appears to search only for a symbol for which the LaTeX name contains the search term. So even if you know what the symbol is mathematically, it doesn't mean that the LaTeX is in anyway similar. And if you do know the name of the symbol, what are you doing on Detexify to start with :smile:

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the LaTeX Mobile Decoder on Detexify?

The LaTeX Mobile Decoder on Detexify is a tool that allows users to easily find and input mathematical symbols in LaTeX format. It is designed to make the process of writing mathematical equations and formulas more efficient and user-friendly.

2. How does the LaTeX Mobile Decoder work?

The LaTeX Mobile Decoder uses machine learning algorithms to recognize handwritten symbols drawn on the screen of a mobile device. It then provides the corresponding LaTeX code for the recognized symbol, which can be copied and pasted into a document or equation.

3. Can I use the LaTeX Mobile Decoder on any device?

Yes, the LaTeX Mobile Decoder is designed to work on any device with a touchscreen, including smartphones and tablets. It is available as a mobile app on both iOS and Android platforms.

4. Is the LaTeX Mobile Decoder accurate?

The accuracy of the LaTeX Mobile Decoder depends on the quality of the handwriting and the complexity of the symbol. In general, it has a high accuracy rate and can recognize a wide range of symbols, including special characters and mathematical operators.

5. Can I contribute to the LaTeX Mobile Decoder's database of symbols?

Yes, the LaTeX Mobile Decoder is an open-source project and welcomes contributions from users. If you encounter a symbol that is not recognized by the decoder, you can submit it to the database to improve its recognition capabilities.