Latex question about list of notations

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex List
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of tabular environment for lists of notations. It is mentioned that this environment is only suitable for short tables and may not work for long tables. The solution for long tables is to use the \longtable environment. For bibliographies, BibTex should be used instead. The usefulness of the nomenclature package for generating and formatting a nomenclature using MakeIndex is also mentioned.
EngWiPy
Hello all,

I am trying to do the list of notations using tabular environment. However, any letter after filling the first page does not appear, i.e.: only the first page of the list of notations appears. why?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The tabular environment is only for short tables that do not go over multiple pages.
Therefore it does not get broken by LaTeX's page-break algorithm.

For long tables, you need the \longtable environment
ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/macros/latex/required/tools/longtable.pdf

If you are trying to do a bibliography, you should use BibTex.
http://www.bibtex.org/

Simon Bridge said:
The tabular environment is only for short tables that do not go over multiple pages.
Therefore it does not get broken by LaTeX's page-break algorithm.

For long tables, you need the \longtable environment
ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/macros/latex/required/tools/longtable.pdf

If you are trying to do a bibliography, you should use BibTex.
http://www.bibtex.org/

Thanks man, it is working now. I am doing a list of notations in my report.

for your question. It is possible that the tabular environment you are using has a limit on the number of items it can display on one page. You can try using a different environment, such as longtable, which allows for multiple pages. Alternatively, you can also try breaking up your list of notations into smaller sections and using multiple tabular environments. If you continue to have trouble, please provide more information about your code and the specific environment you are using so we can better assist you.

1. What is the purpose of a list of notations in Latex?

A list of notations in Latex is used to define and organize the symbols and abbreviations used in a document. This can be helpful for readers to easily understand and reference the different notations used throughout the document.

2. How do I create a list of notations in Latex?

To create a list of notations in Latex, you can use the "nomencl" package. This package allows you to define and list all the notations used in your document. You can also customize the appearance and formatting of the list according to your preference.

3. Can I include a list of notations in my table of contents?

Yes, you can include a list of notations in your table of contents by using the "nomencl" package and adding the command "\listofnomenclature" before your table of contents command. This will automatically add the list of notations to your table of contents.

4. How do I add a new notation to the list in Latex?

To add a new notation to the list, you can use the command "\nomenclature" followed by the symbol or abbreviation and its definition. You can also use the "nomencl" package to sort the notations alphabetically and group them according to their categories.

5. Can I use the list of notations in multiple documents in Latex?

Yes, you can use the same list of notations in multiple documents by creating a separate "nomenclature" file and including it in your main document using the "\input" command. This will allow you to maintain consistency in the notations used across different documents.