LaTeX: Quick Question on Aligning Equations

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter jey1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation is about aligning equations in latex. The person is asking if there is a way to align the equations vertically at the center of the page. The other person suggests using the {eqnarray} environment. The first person tries it but it doesn't work. The second person suggests using the AMSmath align environment and provides a link for more information.
jey1234
Hi guys, I'm totally new to latex and I'm loving it so far :) Quick question: when I use "\begin{align}" & "\end{align}" for a system of equations, I get them all aligned up at the "=" signs (assuming I place a "&" in front of them). Is there a way to get them all aligned vertically at the center of the page? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
had you tried
Code:
\begin{eqnarray} 
... & = & ... \\
... & = & ... 
\end{eqnarray}
?

M Quack said:
had you tried
Code:
\begin{eqnarray} 
... & = & ... \\
... & = & ... 
\end{eqnarray}
?

I just tried it. It does the same thing as {align}. They're aligned about the "=" signs but the "=" signs aren't centered. Thanks anyways.

I'm not exactly sure what your question is, but the AMSmath align environment has more than enough options to solve most alignment problems. See ftp://ftp.ams.org/pub/tex/doc/amsmath/amsldoc.pdf Section 3.

Hi there! Great to hear that you are enjoying using LaTeX. To answer your question, yes, there is a way to align your equations vertically at the center of the page. You can use the command "\begin{align*}" and "\end{align*}" instead of "\begin{align}" and "\end{align}". The asterisk indicates that the equations will not be numbered. Additionally, you can use the command "\centering" before the "\begin{align*}" to center the equations on the page. Hope this helps!

Related to LaTeX: Quick Question on Aligning Equations

1. How do I align equations in LaTeX?

To align equations in LaTeX, you can use the align or align* environment. The * version removes the automatic equation numbering. To align the equations at a specific point, use the & symbol to indicate the alignment point.

2. Can I align equations without numbering them?

Yes, you can use the align* environment instead of align to remove automatic equation numbering. This will align the equations without adding numbers on the right.

3. How do I align equations at multiple points?

To align equations at multiple points, you can use the alignat environment. This allows you to specify the number of alignment points and add & symbols to indicate the alignment points.

4. How do I align equations without adding extra space between them?

You can use the aligned environment within the align or align* environment to align equations without adding extra space between them. The aligned environment allows you to specify the alignment points using & symbols without adding extra space.

5. Can I align equations without using the align environment?

Yes, you can use the array environment to align equations without using the align environment. This environment behaves similarly to a table, where you can specify the alignment and separation of columns using & symbols and \\ for line breaks.