Laws of Motion: Projectile Collision Calculation

In summary, a 250g projectile traveling at 1200m/s collides and sticks to a stationary 3500g object, resulting in a total mass of 3750g. The momentum of the two-body system is conserved before and after the collision. To achieve a resultant velocity of 120m/s, you can adjust the mass ratio or initial velocity. The change in kinetic energy of the stationary object can be calculated by comparing its initial and final kinetic energy. The remaining energy is transferred to other forms such as sound and heat. When substituting values into the formula, a resultant velocity of 80m/s is obtained.
pdaniels77
simple i know but i have just hit a blank.

a projectile of mass 250g traveling at 1200m/s impacts and sticks to a stationary 3500g object.
What will be the resulting velocity of the two combined objects...

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the momentum of the two-body system prior to the collision?
What must it be just AFTER the collision?

Thanks for getting back to me...
I am hoping that the resulting velocity will be in the region of 120m/s.
Regarding the momentum...the 3500g body is stationary and impact from the 250g body is in a straight line...think of 2 balls...with the smaller one impacting the larger one dead centre

"Regarding the momentum...the 3500g body is stationary and impact from the 250g body is in a straight line..."
The total of which equals the momentum the 250g body has on its own; agreed?

That quantity must be conserved after collision, for the composite body with mass 3500+250 g

If you do this correctly, since 3500=14*250, the new velocity will be 1/15 of the impact velocity just prior to the colision (80 m/s).

ok...thanks...so inorder to obtain a resultant velocity of 120m/s of the combined mass, would it be better to increase the mass of the smaller object or increase its velocity or both

Well, if you look at the resultant velocity v=120, m_b mass of ball m_s mass of stationary object, v_0 velocity of ball prior to impact, you can write the equation to ensure 120m/s as:
[tex]\frac{1}{1+\frac{m_{s}}{m_{b}}}v_{0}=120[/tex]
Thus, you have two parameters you can play about with independently, the mass ratio and the initial velocity. You have infinitely many solutions to your problem. Pick the one you like best. :smile:

brilliant thank you

also ...sorry to be a pain but how would you calculate the impact energy of 3500g body traveling at 120m/s

Well, you should be able to calculate the change in kinetic energy the station has absorbed by the collision by comparing its present kinetic energy level (remember to use m_s here as its mass!) relative to the initial level of energy.

But, you have YET more energy to account for!
In this type of inelastic collision, kinetic energy of the system of two bodies has become TRANSFERRED to other types of energy, such as to sound, heat, and the amount of energy needed to create permanent deformations in either, or both objects.

THAT amount of energy is simply the difference in the whole system's energy after the collision to the whole system's total kinetic energy before the collision.

Hi SORRY TO BOTHER YOU AGAIN BUT U HAVE JUST BEEN PLAYING AROUND WIT THE FORUMLAE

oops fat fingers ...i have just been playing around with the formulae you provided and i can not get to to provide the rightanswer...i know it is me being dim...but can you explain the figures to me...if i subsiture Vo with 1200 and ms 3500 and mb 250 i get 80...confused

pdaniels77 said:
oops fat fingers ...i have just been playing around with the formulae you provided and i can not get to to provide the rightanswer...i know it is me being dim...but can you explain the figures to me...if i subsiture Vo with 1200 and ms 3500 and mb 250 i get 80...confused

I told you the answer with your figures was 80 m/s. Right in post 4.

1. What are the three laws of motion?

The three laws of motion are the fundamental principles that govern the movement of objects in the universe. They were first described by Sir Isaac Newton in his book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" in 1687.

2. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion with a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed as the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

4. What is Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back.

5. How are the laws of motion applied in everyday life?

The laws of motion are applied in many aspects of everyday life, such as driving a car, playing sports, or even just walking. For example, the first law explains why objects stay in motion until acted upon by a force, which is why a ball continues to roll until it hits something. The second law explains why heavier objects require more force to move, such as pushing a loaded shopping cart. And the third law can be seen when a person jumps off a diving board and the board pushes back with an equal force, propelling the person into the air.