Layman explanation of some simple EM equations

In summary, the conversation is discussing the understanding and application of Maxwell's equations, specifically in regards to the time-dependent study and frequency domain study. The equations involve the magnetic vector potential, the cross product of H, and the electron current density. The context of these equations is electric and magnetic fields and electric currents in conductors.
tim9000
So its been a while since I studied maxwells equations, anyway:
equations.png

So From my ignorant perspective, trying to derive conceptual meaning from these, I can see that the time dependant study there is some conductivity x the partial differential of the magnetic vector potential plus the cross product of mu*B which is H minus SOMETHING? equals the electron current density.

I don't really remember what the magnetic vector potential is (well, that is to say, I remember not really understanding it when I tried learning about it in the first place), or the last term...or what the cross product of H is.
I'm at a similar loss regarding the Frequeny Domain study.

To be honest all I really remember about the cross product is that it is perpendicular to the two vectors being multiplied.If anyone can offer a more indepth explanation of these formulas in English, I mean some maths is fine, but for a layman, that'd be great.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
These might help

Likes sophiecentaur
MexChemE said:
These might help

Thanks for the reply, the second vid was a good refresher about curl (and to a lesser extent divergence), The first one didn't tell me anything I didn't already remember, but it made me try and wonder how Faraday's law might fit into those equations? (given that it has a current and cross product of B in it too).
But I'm still none the wiser about what the 'v' is in that equation (velocity?) or what the curl of H, cross product of Bxv and partial derivetive of A have to do with current density??

Cheers!

So am I to assume that these equations aren't a modification/application of one specific Maxwell equation??

What is the context of those equations? Where did you see them?

They seem to have something to do with electric and magnetic fields and electric currents in conductors. σ is the usual symbol for electrical conductivity, which is the reciprocal of resistivity: σ = 1/ρ.

jtbell said:
What is the context of those equations? Where did you see them?

They seem to have something to do with electric and magnetic fields and electric currents in conductors. σ is the usual symbol for electrical conductivity, which is the reciprocal of resistivity: σ = 1/ρ.
Yeah, they're from Comsol Multiphysics, depending on if you're simulating something that varies over time etc.

1. What is an electromagnetic equation?

An electromagnetic equation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between electric and magnetic fields in a given space. It is used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves and how they interact with matter.

2. What are some common examples of electromagnetic equations?

Some common examples of electromagnetic equations include Maxwell's equations, which describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetism, and the wave equation, which describes the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

3. How are electromagnetic equations used in real life?

Electromagnetic equations are used in a wide range of applications, including electronics, telecommunications, and medical imaging. They are also used in research and development of new technologies, such as wireless power transfer and electromagnetic propulsion.

4. Can you provide a simple explanation of one of the basic electromagnetic equations?

One of the most well-known electromagnetic equations is Ohm's law, which states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. In simpler terms, it describes the relationship between current, voltage, and resistance in an electrical circuit.

5. Are there any real-life examples that can help understand electromagnetic equations better?

Yes, there are many real-life examples that can help understand electromagnetic equations better. For instance, the behavior of a radio antenna, which converts electrical signals into radio waves, can be explained using Maxwell's equations. The working principle of a light bulb, where electrical energy is converted into light and heat, can also be understood through electromagnetic equations.