LC Circuit Problem Homework: Calculate Values of L & R

In summary: In this case, only include the equations for inductance and resistance, not the equation for adding flux.In summary, the given equation for the voltage between points a and b is Vt=(I*R)+L(di/dt). Using the values provided, 15V=(4A*R)+L(0.5A/s) for the increasing current and 10V=(4A*R)+L(-0.5A/s) for the decreasing current. Solving for L and R, we get L=20H and R=10Ω.
Am_o

Homework Statement

When the current in the portion of the circuit shown in the figure below is 4.00 A and increases at a rate of 0.500 A/s, the measured voltage is ∆ = 15.0 V. When the current is 4.00 A and decreases at the rate of 0.500 A/s, the measured voltage is ∆ = 10.0 V. Calculate the values of (a) L and (b) R.

upload_2016-3-29_21-58-8.png

Homework Equations

Given formula sheet.[/B]
upload_2016-3-29_21-59-57.png

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt:
I was given an equation:
adding flux formula:
i=Imax(1-e^-t/Γ)
Γ=L/R ---> Γ=L/(V/I)----> Γ=LI/V
R=V/IAm I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Voltage between points a and b is sum of inductor voltage and resistor voltage. Inductor voltage is Ldi/dt..

So what I do is:
Vt=Vr+VL
Vr= I*R
VL= -L(di/st)
Vt=(I*R)+(-Ldi/dt)

So put in the variables given:
15v=(4A*R)+(-L(0.5A/s)) increasing rate
10v=(4A*R)+(-L(-0.5A/s)) decreasing rate
Then solve for L & R like?

Am_o said:
So what I do is:
Vt=Vr+VL
Vr= I*R
VL= -L(di/st)
Vt=(I*R)+(-Ldi/dt)

So put in the variables given:
Hi Am_0.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

That's the right idea. Except there should not be a negative sign in the expression for VL.

Also, where you are asked to provide all relevant equations in your homework post, please only include those relevant to the problem at hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I calculate the values of L and R for an LC circuit problem?

To calculate the values of L and R for an LC circuit, you will need to use the following equations:

• L = (1/ω²C)
  • R = (2L/ω)

Where ω is the angular frequency and C is the capacitance of the circuit. You can find these values by using a multimeter or by using the given values in the problem.

2. What is an LC circuit and how does it work?

An LC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in parallel or in series. It works by storing energy in the form of an electric field in the capacitor and a magnetic field in the inductor. As the energy oscillates back and forth between the two components, it creates a continuous and self-sustaining current.

3. What is the significance of calculating the values of L and R in an LC circuit problem?

Calculating the values of L and R in an LC circuit problem allows us to determine the resonance frequency and the quality factor of the circuit. These values are important for understanding the behavior and efficiency of the circuit, and they can also help us optimize and design better circuits for specific applications.

4. Can I use the calculated values of L and R in other types of circuits?

Yes, the equations used to calculate the values of L and R in an LC circuit can also be applied to other types of circuits, such as RLC circuits. However, keep in mind that the values may vary depending on the specific circuit and its components.

5. What are some common challenges in solving LC circuit problems?

Some common challenges in solving LC circuit problems include understanding the concept of resonance, correctly setting up the equations, and dealing with complex values and units. It is important to carefully review the problem and make sure all values and units are consistent before attempting to solve it.