LCD? Equations and inequalities

In summary, the LCD (lowest common denominator) is the smallest number that is a multiple of all the denominators in a set of fractions, and is used in equations and inequalities to help find a common denominator and simplify expressions. To find the LCD, one can identify the prime factors of each denominator and multiply them together. The LCD and LCM (least common multiple) are always the same for a set of fractions, and finding the LCD is important in solving equations and inequalities as it allows for easier comparison and combination of fractions. The LCD is always a positive number, even if one or both of the fractions have a negative denominator.
Blackwinter

Homework Statement

1/z - 1/2z - 1/5z = 10/(z+1)

This is the equation presented right after in the textbook where the author explains how to use the LCD to convert this equation into a more understood linear equation.

Homework Equations

Here is the example before this equation:
1/(1+x) + 1/(x-2) = x+3/(x^2-x-2)

The LCD is (x+1)(x-2)

This is multiplied in and then we have: (x-2)+(x+1)=x+3
then we simplify it to x=4

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having troubles, I am not sure what the LCD would be, my current thoughts are:
10z(z+1)

Please ask, if I left anything out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Blackwinter said:

Homework Statement

This is the equation presented right after in the textbook where the author explains how to use the LCD to convert this equation into a more understood linear equation.

Homework Equations

The LCD is (x+1)(x-2)

I am having troubles, I am not sure what the LCD would be, my current thoughts are:
10z(z+1)

Please ask, if I left anything out.

That would be correct. The process I use is to split every term in the denominators into prime factors. For polynomials this would mean factoring them. The LCM would be the product of the greatest occurence of each prime factor in each fraction's denominators. Say you had 24 and 18. This would become ##2 \cdot 2 \cdot 2 \cdot 3## and ##2 \cdot 3 \cdot 3##. The greatest amount of 2s would be three in the first umber and the greatest amount of 3s would be two in the second number. Therefore the LCM is ##2 \cdot 2 \cdot 2 \cdot 3 \cdot 3 = 72##.

I don't know exactly what you are having trouble with, so I hope that cleared up any issues.

So, I have tried this question several times and have yet to succeed in doing it. I just wanted to make sure my conclusions about the LCD were correct, than I would proceed from there and see how I'd do.

I am currently multiplying 10z(z+1) into the original equation. I am unsure what 10z(z+1) multiplied into 10 is. Is it: 100z(z+1)?

Here's my full attempt at the problem:I multiplied 10z(z+1) into 1/z - 1/2z - 1/5z = 10/(z+1) getting:

10z(z+1)/z - 10z(z+1)/2z - 10z(z+1)/5z = 100z(z+1)/(z+1)

This in my mind simplifies to:

9z(z+1) - 8z(z+1) - 5z(z+1) = 100z

If that is right, I continued to then simplify:
-4z(z+1) = 100z

This is where my low quality brain is most confused:

My attempts don't seem to prevail here and I suspect I erred earlier. I have thoughts of multiplying the -4z into (z+1) and then factoring that, but I'm not sure.

Hopefully I communicated everything well.Thank you so much!

Linear equations.

Homework Statement

This is the equation presented in the textbook right after where the author explains how to use the LCD to convert this equation into a more understood linear equation.

Homework Equations

The LCD is (x+1)(x-2)

So, I have tried this question several times and have yet to succeed in doing it. I just wanted to make sure my conclusions about the LCD were correct, than I would proceed from there and see how I'd do.

I am currently multiplying 10z(z+1) which is the LCD into the original equation. I am unsure what 10z(z+1) multiplied into 10 is. Is it: 100z(z+1)?

Here's my full attempt at the problem:

I multiplied 10z(z+1) into 1/z - 1/2z - 1/5z = 10/(z+1) getting:

This in my mind simplifies to:

9z(z+1) - 8z(z+1) - 5z(z+1) = 100z

If that is right, I continued to then simplify:
-4z(z+1) = 100z

This is where my low quality brain is most confused:

My attempts don't seem to prevail here and I suspect I erred earlier. I have thoughts of multiplying the -4z into (z+1) and then factoring that, but I'm not sure.

Hopefully I communicated everything well.

Thank you so much!

all is good up to here
you have subtracted where you should have divided
10/1=10 not 9
10/2=5 not 8
10/5=2 not 5
also you have not canceled correctly the variables
z(z+1)/z=(z+1) not z(z+1)
another approach would be to add the like terms
$$\frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{2z}-\frac{1}{5z}=\frac{10}{z+1}\\
\left( 1-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{5} \right)\frac{1}{z}=\frac{10}{z+1}$$

Last edited:
Two threads merged...

What do you mean by: "also you have not canceled correctly the variables
z(z+1)/z=(z+1) not z(z+1)"

Sorry, I have many holes in my math (Extended period away from it.)

1- 1/2 - 1/5 = 7/10?

Blackwinter said:
What do you mean by: "also you have not canceled correctly the variables
z(z+1)/z=(z+1) not z(z+1)"
$$\frac{z(z + 1)}{z} = \frac{z}{z}\cdot\frac{z + 1}{1}= z + 1$$
z/z = 1, so can be removed.
Cancelling means finding factors that are the same in both numerator and denominator.
Also, "factors" implies that both numerator and denominator appear as products.
Blackwinter said:
Sorry, I have many holes in my math (Extended period away from it.)

1- 1/2 - 1/5 = 7/10?
No, pretty far off. Here the LCD is 10, so multiply each term by 1 in some form so as to get a denominator of 10.

$$1\frac{10}{10} - \frac{1}{2}\frac{5}{5} - \frac{1}{5}\frac{2}{2}$$
$$= \frac{10}{10} - \frac{5}{10} - \frac{2}{10}$$
Now that all the denominators are the same, the fractions can be added to get a single fraction with 10 in the denominator.

Related to LCD? Equations and inequalities

1. What is an LCD in terms of equations and inequalities?

The LCD (lowest common denominator) is the smallest number that is a multiple of all the denominators in a set of fractions. It is used in equations and inequalities to help find a common denominator and make it easier to compare and solve the expressions.

2. How do you find the LCD of two or more fractions?

To find the LCD of two or more fractions, you need to identify the prime factors of each denominator and then multiply them together. The resulting product will be the LCD.

3. Can the LCD of two fractions be different from the LCM (least common multiple) of the same fractions?

No, the LCD and LCM are always the same for a set of fractions. However, the LCM can also be used to find the LCD by dividing it by the numerator of each fraction and multiplying the result by the whole fraction.

4. Why is it important to find the LCD when solving equations and inequalities?

Finding the LCD allows us to rewrite the fractions with a common denominator, making it easier to compare and combine them. This simplifies the equations and inequalities, making them easier to solve.

5. Can the LCD of two fractions be a negative number?

No, the LCD is always a positive number. If one or both of the fractions have a negative denominator, the LCD will be the positive version of that number.