Fractional equations w/ binomial denominators

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation D+8/D-2 = 9/4 and addresses the issue of finding the least common denominator (LCD) and using it to clear fractions in equations. It is noted that the LCD is not always the same as the least common multiple (LCM), but multiplying by a multiple of the LCD can still clear fractions in an equation. It is also emphasized to check solutions by substituting them into the original equation.
DS2C

Homework Statement

D+8/D-2 = 9/4

See image, original equation in black.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See image.

Having a little trouble with this.
Ive attempted to solve it two ways. The first was to multiply both sides by ##d-2## which gave me the correct answer of ##d=10##.
However when I try it the other way, by multiplying both sides by the LCD, the answer is incorrect. This method is the method I used in the attached picture.
What have I done wrong? I am assuming its because I am changing te LCD from ##4\left(d-2\right)## to ##4d-8## which technically isn't the LCD anymore, but without doing this I don't see how I can multiply the original LCD throughout the equation.

Attachments

• IMG_3715.JPG
    IMG_3715.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I found the problem. I could have canceled the ##d-2## right off the bat with the original setup. Doing this gave me the ##d=10##
But I still have the question with the LCD:
Can I take the LCD of ##4\left(d-2\right)## and change it to ##4d-8## from the start, or since this is not the LEAST common denominator it would not work?

DS2C said:
D+8/D-2 = 9/4
When you write fractions like these on one line, you need parentheses around the numerator and around the denominator.
What you have above means ##D + \frac 8 D - 2 = \frac 9 4##, which is different from what's in your image.
DS2C said:
Nevermind, I found the problem. I could have canceled the ##d-2## right off the bat with the original setup. Doing this gave me the ##d=10##
Can I take the LCD of ##4\left(d-2\right)## and change it to ##4d-8## from the start, or since this is not the LEAST common denominator it would not work?
Because of the d - 2 denominator, you should explicitly note (in writing) that d cannot be 2. Otherwise you are dividing by zero.

Regarding the LCD, it doesn't matter if you multiply by something that is a multiple of the LCD. The reason for the multiplication is to get rid of all fractions on both sides, so you might end up with something like 9x = 24 instead of 3x = 8, both of which simplify to x = 8/3. (This is just an example, unrelated to your problem.)

Finally, when you have obtained a solution, check your answer by substituting into the original equation. If your answer is correct you'll end up with an equation that is identically true. In your first post, you had an answer of d = 2. This can't be the solution because it makes the denominator on the left side zero, and you can't divide by zero.

Likes DS2C
Ok that makes sense with that portion.
Still a little confused in regards to find the LCD for binomials.
If I have ##y-2##, ##2##, and ##2y-4##, is my LCD going to be ##2y-4##? Do the signs matter at all? Or is the absolute value the only thing that matters in regards to the LCD here?

DS2C said:
Ok that makes sense with that portion.
Still a little confused in regards to find the LCD for binomials.
If I have ##y-2##, ##2##, and ##2y-4##, is my LCD going to be ##2y-4##? Do the signs matter at all? Or is the absolute value the only thing that matters in regards to the LCD here?
2y - 4 = 2(y - 2), so the least common multiple (LCM) of 2 and y - 2 is 2(y - 2). The signs don't enter into things here, so I don't know why you're asking about them.

Regarding your question in post #2:
DS2C said:
Can I take the LCD of ##4(d-2)## and change it to ##4d-8## from the start
Forget LCD, or more accurately, LCM for the moment. 4(d - 2) is identically equal to 4d - 8, so you can always change either one to the other.
DS2C said:
, or since this is not the LEAST common denominator it would not work?
If the problem were ##\frac{6}{2(d - 2)} = \frac 9 4##, you could multiply both sides by ##4 \cdot 2(d - 2)##, and that would clear the fractions on both sides. This is true even though 4(2)(d - 2 ) isn't the least common multiple of 4 and 2(d - 2). The LCM is actually 4(d - 2), which is the simplest expression that is evenly divisible by 4 and 2(d - 2). It's just most efficient if you clear fractions by multiplying by the LCM rather than by some larger multiple of it.

1. What is a fractional equation with binomial denominators?

A fractional equation with binomial denominators is an equation that contains fractions with binomials (expressions with two terms) in the denominator. These types of equations often involve solving for a variable or simplifying the expression.

2. How do I solve a fractional equation with binomial denominators?

To solve a fractional equation with binomial denominators, you can start by multiplying both sides of the equation by the lowest common multiple (LCM) of all the denominators. This will eliminate the fractions and allow you to solve for the variable. Remember to check for extraneous solutions at the end.

3. Can I cancel out binomials in a fractional equation with binomial denominators?

Yes, you can cancel out binomials in a fractional equation with binomial denominators. However, you must make sure that the binomial is a factor of both the numerator and denominator. If it is not, you must first factor the binomial before canceling it out.

4. Are there any special rules for solving fractional equations with binomial denominators?

There are a few special rules to keep in mind when solving fractional equations with binomial denominators. First, if the binomial is raised to a power, you must distribute the power to both terms before canceling it out. Second, if the binomial is a difference of squares (in the form of a2 - b2), it can be factored and canceled out with the other side of the equation. Lastly, always check for extraneous solutions at the end.

5. Where can I apply fractional equations with binomial denominators in real life?

Fractional equations with binomial denominators can be applied in various fields such as engineering, finance, and physics. For example, engineers may use these equations to calculate the amount of force needed to lift a certain weight. Financial analysts may use these equations to determine the percentage change in stock prices. Physicists may use these equations to calculate the acceleration of an object based on its mass and force applied.