Le^x-(1+x/1+x^2/2)l <= e/6 for all x E [0,1].

• Thread starter squenshl
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses how to show that the equation le^x-(1+x/1!+x^2/2!)l <= e/6 is true for all x E [0,1] and how to prove that it is monotonic in x. Taylor's theorem is suggested as a possible method and the concept of monotonicity is clarified.
squenshl
I have a problem.
How do I show that le^x-(1+x/1!+x^2/2!)l <= e/6 for all x E [0,1].

Physics news on Phys.org

Show that the equation is true at the boundries. Show that the term on the left is monotonic in x (if, indeed, it is).

What a strange coincidence. I saw this thread only after posting my example in this thread.

If you don't want to see the full solution, here's a hint: Taylor's theorem.

how to show that a function is monotonic increasing? show that f(x+1) >= f(x) for all x?

ice109 said:
how to show that a function is monotonic increasing? show that f(x+1) >= f(x) for all x?

No, that won't work. A function is monotonic increasing if f(x) ≥ f(y) whenever x ≥ y.

FAQ: Le^x-(1+x/1+x^2/2)l <= e/6 for all x E [0,1].

1. What is the significance of the symbol "e" in the inequality?

The symbol "e" in the inequality represents the mathematical constant, also known as Euler's number. It is approximately equal to 2.71828 and appears in many mathematical formulas and equations.

2. How is the inequality related to the interval [0,1]?

The inequality is a statement about the behavior of the function on the interval [0,1]. It states that for all values of x within this interval, the function will have a specific behavior as shown in the equation.

3. What does the "^" symbol mean in the expression "Le^x"?

The "^" symbol represents the exponentiation operation, meaning that e is raised to the power of x. In this case, it is multiplied by -1 to create the inverse function.

4. How does this inequality relate to the concept of limit?

This inequality is a statement about the limit of a function as x approaches 0. It states that the limit of the inverse function is less than or equal to e/6, which is a specific value.

5. Can this inequality be proven to be true for all values of x in the given interval?

Yes, this inequality can be proven to be true for all values of x in the interval [0,1] using mathematical techniques such as differentiation and limits. This can be shown through a rigorous proof or by graphing the function and observing its behavior.