Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Leaf Spring Modification

1. Jan 26, 2016 #1
    Hi.
    If I am going to increase pay load on a truck (within front and rear axle capacity). It is supposed to modify or add leafs in semi-elliptical leaf spring. I want to know what should be the max considerations for doing so?
    Just adding some leafs in suspension can fulfill the requirement?
    or there would be any design practice/calculation that should be followed?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2016 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

when you add a leaf you are adding spring rate, just make sure the main leaf can taker your max load..typically we add a spring leaf of length in between the current leafs and only add two or three leafs, more than that make jeaporidize the main leaf

4. Jan 28, 2016 #3
    I am willing to add 2 leaves in total but I am confused where to put them. As it is obvious that a leaf suspension looks like triangular shape, so I am not sure its triangularity would be affected of not? If so then what would be the result? or shall I need to modify other leaves too to maintain its shape?

5. Jan 28, 2016 #4

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

can you post a photo or drawing so we can see the " triangle"...

6. Jan 29, 2016 #5
    IMG_20151207_092206_424.jpg IMG_20151207_092214_024.jpg

Might be these picture could help you also term "triangle" is just used for reference as it has a uniform shape that looks like a "triangle".

7. Jan 29, 2016 #6

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

8. Jan 29, 2016 #7
    This is the reason it is a "triangle"
    http://www.engineersedge.com/material_science/leaf-spring-design.htm

Instead of adding leaves, investigate adding an overload leaf, such as seen in the picture at the bottom.
    http://www.torklift.com/index.php/blog/tags/listings/overload-leaf-springs?format=feed&type=rss
    That way your ride is not affecting until you have the very heavy loads you wish to carry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook