Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Leaf Spring Modification

1. Jan 26, 2016 #1
    Hi.
    If I am going to increase pay load on a truck (within front and rear axle capacity). It is supposed to modify or add leafs in semi-elliptical leaf spring. I want to know what should be the max considerations for doing so?
    Just adding some leafs in suspension can fulfill the requirement?
    or there would be any design practice/calculation that should be followed?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2016 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

when you add a leaf you are adding spring rate, just make sure the main leaf can taker your max load..typically we add a spring leaf of length in between the current leafs and only add two or three leafs, more than that make jeaporidize the main leaf

4. Jan 28, 2016 #3
    I am willing to add 2 leaves in total but I am confused where to put them. As it is obvious that a leaf suspension looks like triangular shape, so I am not sure its triangularity would be affected of not? If so then what would be the result? or shall I need to modify other leaves too to maintain its shape?

5. Jan 28, 2016 #4

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

can you post a photo or drawing so we can see the " triangle"...

6. Jan 29, 2016 #5
    IMG_20151207_092206_424.jpg IMG_20151207_092214_024.jpg

Might be these picture could help you also term "triangle" is just used for reference as it has a uniform shape that looks like a "triangle".

7. Jan 29, 2016 #6

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Jan 29, 2016 #7

256bits

Gold Member

This is the reason it is a "triangle"
    http://www.engineersedge.com/material_science/leaf-spring-design.htm

Instead of adding leaves, investigate adding an overload leaf, such as seen in the picture at the bottom.
    http://www.torklift.com/index.php/blog/tags/listings/overload-leaf-springs?format=feed&type=rss
    That way your ride is not affecting until you have the very heavy loads you wish to carry.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook