Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Leak Rates of Different Gases

1. Aug 25, 2010 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I have a problem that I've been working on and I'm having a little trouble. Essentially I have a tank with a known leak rate at a given pressure and temperature. We are currently using hydrogen, but I need to know what the equivalent leak rate would be if we changed the gas to say nitrogen or oxygen. Assuming I have the known values of pressure, temperature, and flow rate, would it be possible to determine the leak rate that we would be detect if we input a different gas and pressurized to the same pressure as before?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2010 #2
    Hi
    if you know that leak occurs at tank sealing, it should be sufficient to compare the viscosity of the hydrogen and of the gas you are supposed to utilize. The leak (dot_q) decrease proportionally to the viscosity (eta) as dot_q propto 1/eta.

M

4. Aug 30, 2010 #3
    Basically, for a gas, you need to understand compressible flow
    Fundamental equation
    PV=nRT or see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law

n is basically your gas constant that is different for the type of gas you have.

5. Aug 31, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook