Learning Light Cones: Seeking Understanding

• Thread starter d.smith292
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, light cones are regions of space-time from a reference event to which a message traveling at the speed of light can be sent. In flat space-time, the geometry is a hyper-cone, and the projection onto constant-time space is a sphere. The past cone contains all events from which information can be known, and it is a time-reflection of the future cone. In a 2D world, the light cones would be 3D cones, and in our 3D universe, they are 4-dimensional cones. The link provided offers helpful diagrams and animations for visualizing light cones and space-time.
d.smith292
I would like to know how light cones work, Everytime I make a post it gets locked before I can learn something. I obvioulsly didn't understand light cones in my previous post and when someone pointed that out, the post was locked before I could ask questions.

If someone would explain light cones to me I would be very greatful. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Light cone is a region of space-time from some reference event to which a message traveling at the speed of light can be sent from the reference event.

In flat space-time, the geometry is actually a hyper-cone (hence the name), which is analogue of cone in 4-dimensions. If you look at time-slices, the region is enclosed in a sphere of radius ct, where t is amount of time that has elapsed from reference event, and c is the speed of light.

Does that help at all? If you want to know something more specific, you'll have to ask a more specific question.

I guess what is throwing me off is the 2D example of light cones. I now understand the reality of it being a sphere. I understand that, for example, when light bounces off an event, E, the sphere grows as it gets further from E. How does the past cone work? Is that just a reflection of the future cone to demonstraight E's past? I guess my question is, How does the past cone play a part in all this? Is there an example of this in a 4D model rather than the diagram of the cones? Can I view this with speres?

The projection onto constant-time space is a sphere. It's just like cutting an ordinary cone with a plane and getting a circle in 3-dimensional case.

Past cone contains all of the events from which you can possibly have information. If an event took place outside of your past cone, you cannot possibly know about it yet. And yes, it's just a time-reflection of the future cone.

Imagine a world with only 2 spatial dimensions, like Flatland. Then the past and future light cones would be 3D cones, and the cross-sections of these cones at any moment in time would be circles. In our universe with 3 spatial dimensions, the light cones would be 4-dimensional ones which we three-dimensional beings can't visualize (well maybe a few mathematicians can, but I can't), and every cross-section of the 4D cone at a particular moment in time would be a sphere. Dropping the number of spatial dimensions by one (or two) is just a way to assist in visualizing things.

Here's a good page on spacetime and light cones with a lot of diagrams, including some animated ones:

http://www.pitt.edu/~jdnorton/teaching/HPS_0410/chapters/spacetime/index.html

Thank you for the link, it really helped explain a lot. I appreciate the assistance.

Related to Learning Light Cones: Seeking Understanding

1. What is a light cone?

A light cone is a visual representation of the past and future light signals that can be received or transmitted from a specific event in space and time.

2. Why is learning about light cones important?

Understanding light cones is important because it allows us to visualize how information and signals travel through space and time. It also helps us understand concepts such as causality and the limitations of the speed of light.

3. How are light cones used in scientific research?

Light cones are used in various fields of science, such as physics and astronomy, to study the behavior of light and its effects on space and time. They are also used in theoretical research to explore the possibilities of time travel and other concepts.

4. Can light cones be observed in real life?

Yes, light cones can be observed in real life through experiments and observations of light and its behavior. However, they are typically difficult to observe directly and are often represented through diagrams and visualizations.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding light cones?

Yes, understanding light cones has practical applications in fields such as telecommunications, where the speed of light is crucial for the transmission of information. It also has implications for GPS technology and satellite communications.