Where Do I Start with Learning Physics and Math?

In summary, a high school junior is interested in studying physics and math in depth, but is feeling lost and unsure of where to start. They are currently taking honors physics and pre-calculus, but feel that their teachers focus more on memorization than understanding. They plan on taking advanced courses in their senior year and are seeking recommendations for books, universities, and career opportunities in these fields. Other forum members offer suggestions for resources and advise focusing on grades for now in order to get into a good graduate program.
antimatter1422
hi everyone,
i just happened to see this site the other day, and it seems pretty cool... so i joined!
Umm, rite now I am a junior in high school. Stuck in the suburbs. Right now almost everyone at my school only cares about grades and doing the stuff they have to to have a good college transcript and get into Ivy League Schools. (Cheating is rampant!) However, I'm more interested in truly understanding/grasping a subject than making the grade. Ummm, anywayz, ill get to the point...
I'm really interested in the sciences and mathematics, and i think i want to study physics more in depth. My question is, where do i start? Physics covers a lot of stuff. any recommendations for books or anything? I got this beginner book called Conceptual Physics by Paul G/ Hewitt. No real math to it, just concepts. Currently, i am in an honors physics and honors pre cal class. (However, my teachers don't go in depth enough. They don't seem to care if we understand the material, they just want us to memorize, plug, and chug. For example, today my pre cal teacher told the class to not worry about how to derive the law of cosines, just memorize what it is and in what cases you have to use it. I feel like no one else besides me is bothered by this, so I am just going to post it here.) Later on, i plan to take Calc BC, Physics BC, and Stat AP during my senior year. But I am feeling kinda lost. :confused: Physics is soo broad, and I am interested in math too.

So I guess I am asking does anyone know any good physics and/or math book, a kinda step by step method of learning physics and mathematics (i know it's really broad), is a strong math background needed once you get higher up to the harder stuff of physics, any recommened universities for majors in math and physics, any jobs out there for majors in math and physics other than being a teacher?

You guys don't have to reply (obviously)... but if you do, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at the sticky at the top of the thread yet ZapperZ has written a lot in his journal on similar subjects as these. They are a good read and will give you a good idea of what life in physics career path is like.

Good luck and welcome.

ooo thx, ill check it out :smile:

How do you plan on taking Calc BC in high school if your already a junior? And physics is divided into a B and a C, not BC. The AB/BC thing is specific to calculus as they are able to do 1 1/2 semesters of college calculus in a year of normal high school education while they are unable to do more hten a semester of college physics in 1 year.

Oh and do get good grades. Its very important. Keep grades above understanding for now. Later on in grad school, you can truly focus on understanding physics. The key is to get into a good grad school and they want grades grades grades... and research :)

Here is a good math book PURE MATHEMATICS, A FIRST COURSE by J.K. BACKHOUSE AND S.P.T.HOULDSWORTH. I have its 1957 edition. They were from Harrow School.
As long as Physics is concerned, I recommend you to read first FUNDAMENTAL OF PHYSICS by HALIDAY, RESNICK AND WALKER and then PHYSICS by HALIDAY, RESNICK AND KRANE. I have read second mentioned Physics book and it is very good to clear concepts.
It is my experience not to study to get good grades. If you will study to understand the topic you can even get distinction.

thx davorak, pengwuino, and electrophysics for your wonderful replies.
Pengwuino: You were right, They'res no such thing as Physics BC. My mistake. I am taking Physics C (it's supposed to be more in depth, but it covers less topics and is less broad than Physics B)
Yikes, I have two minutes to get to my next class. Bye Everyone! I'll check this later tonight. Peace! :-p

Related to Where Do I Start with Learning Physics and Math?

1. Where do I start with learning physics and math?

The best place to start is by building a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. These skills are essential for understanding the principles of physics.

2. Do I need a strong background in math to learn physics?

While a strong background in math can certainly make learning physics easier, it is not a requirement. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn the fundamentals of physics.

3. How can I make learning physics and math more enjoyable?

One way to make learning these subjects more enjoyable is by finding real-life applications and examples. This can help you see how these concepts are used in the world around us.

4. Is it better to study physics and math separately or together?

It is recommended to study physics and math together as they are closely related. Understanding mathematical concepts can help you grasp the principles of physics more easily.

5. Are there any online resources for learning physics and math?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as tutorials, videos, and interactive simulations that can help you learn physics and math at your own pace. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare.