How to Derive Legendre Polynomials Using Orthogonalization?

In summary, the Legendre polynomials P_l(x) are set of real polynomials of order l that are orthogonal in the interval -1<x<1 and normalized to P_l(x)=1. The orthonormalization procedure involves using the Gram-Schmidt process to obtain the orthonormal functions R_n(x) from the original functions P_n(x). The coefficients of the highest powers of the resulting polynomials are then equal to 1. The inner products of the resulting polynomials are used to calculate the coefficients c_0, d_1, d_0, e_0, e_1, e_2, f_0, f_1, f_2, and f_3.
noblegas

Homework Statement

The Legendre polynomials [tex]P_l(x)[/tex] are a set of real polynomials orthogonal in the interval [tex]-1< x <1[/tex] , [tex] l\neq l' [/tex]

[tex]\int dx P_l(x)P_l'(x)=0, -1<x<1[/tex] The polynomial [tex]P_l(x)[/tex] is of order l
, that is, the highest power of x is [tex]x^l[/tex]. It is normalized to [tex]P_l(x)=1 [/tex]

Starting with the set of functions ,

[tex] \varphi_l(x)=x^l, l=0,1,2,...,[/tex] used the orthogonalization procedure to derive the polynomials [tex] P_0,P_1,P_2, and P_3[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what my book (Peebles) means by orthogonalization procedure. But I looked at Griffifth book on QM , and perhaps they are talking about Rodrigues formula on p. 136 eqn. 4.28?

Physics news on Phys.org
Still a little confused .so for l= 0 , would look like this: [tex]|e_0>=e_0/||e_0||[/tex]

P_n(x) are the original functions, the orthonormal functions are denoted by R_n(x). Normalize the first:

R_0(x) = P_0(x)/sqrt[<P_0|P_0>]

Take the second function, and subtract the component in the direction of R_0(x):

Q_1(x) = P_1(x) - <P_1|R_0> R_0(x)

The inner product of Q_1 with R_0 is clearly zero. Normalize Q_1 by dividing it by the square root of its inner product with itself to get R_1. Then you compute Q_2 by subtracting from P_2 the components in the direction of

Q_2(x) = P_2(x) - <P_2|R_1> R_1(x) - <P_2|R_0> R_0(x)

Normalize Q_2 to obtain R_2.

Then when you're done, you renormalize the R_n to make the coefficients of the highest powers equal to 1.

Count Iblis said:
P_n(x) are the original functions, the orthonormal functions are denoted by R_n(x). Normalize the first:

R_0(x) = P_0(x)/sqrt[<P_0|P_0>]

Take the second function, and subtract the component in the direction of R_0(x):

Q_1(x) = P_1(x) - <P_1|R_0> R_0(x)

The inner product of Q_1 with R_0 is clearly zero. Normalize Q_1 by dividing it by the square root of its inner product with itself to get R_1. Then you compute Q_2 by subtracting from P_2 the components in the direction of

Q_2(x) = P_2(x) - <P_2|R_1> R_1(x) - <P_2|R_0> R_0(x)

Normalize Q_2 to obtain R_2.

Then when you're done, you renormalize the R_n to make the coefficients of the highest powers equal to 1.

sorry , this might take me a while to absorb in:

[tex]R_0=P_0/(P_0,P_0),(P_0,P_0)=1?[/tex]; [tex]Q_2=P_2(x)[/tex] since [tex]<P_2|R_1>=0, <P_2|R_0>=0[/tex]

[tex]\varphi_0=1,\varphi_1=x,\varphi_2=x^2[/tex]; When do all 3 phi's and the integral expression come into play? How do I obtain [tex]P_0, P_1,P_2[/tex]

I think i got it! [tex]P_0=c_0,P_1=d_1*x+d_0,P_2=e_2*x^2+e_1*x+e_0,P_3=f_3*x^3+f_2*x^2+f_1*x+f_0,P_0(1)=1=>c_0=1,P_1(1)=1=d_1*x+d_0,P_2(1)=1=e_2*x^2+e_1*x+e_0,P_3(1)=1=f_3*x^3+f_2*x^2+f_1*x+f_0[/tex]Using integration I need to show that:

[tex]\int P_0*P_1 dx=0[/tex] ,[tex]\intP_0*P_2 dx= 0[/tex], [tex]\int P_0*P_3=0[/tex],[tex]\int P_1*P_2=[/tex],[tex]\int P_1*P_3=0[/tex],[tex]\int P_2*P_3=0[/tex] all on interval -1<x<1[/tex](look at my latex code, output might not my input accurately)

calculated [tex]c_o[/tex] ,not sure how to calculate [tex]d_1,d_0,e_0,e_1,e_2,f_0,f_1,f_2,f_3[/tex] I think all of the terms will be equal to zero or one though.

Last edited:
hard time reading my solution again

Related to How to Derive Legendre Polynomials Using Orthogonalization?

1. What are Legendre Polynomials and what are they used for?

Legendre polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are used to solve various mathematical problems. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve differential equations, and in statistics to perform data analysis and curve fitting.

2. What is the Legendre Polynomial problem?

The Legendre Polynomial problem refers to finding the coefficients of a Legendre polynomial that best fits a given set of data points. This is often done using the method of least squares, where the sum of the squared differences between the data points and the polynomial is minimized.

3. How are Legendre Polynomials different from other types of polynomials?

Legendre polynomials have the unique property of being orthogonal, meaning that they are perpendicular to each other when plotted on a graph. This allows them to be used in various mathematical applications, such as solving differential equations and performing data analysis, where accuracy and precision are important.

4. What are the applications of Legendre Polynomials in science and engineering?

Legendre polynomials have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used in physics to solve problems related to wave equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, and in engineering to solve problems related to heat transfer and fluid dynamics. They are also used in statistics for data analysis and curve fitting.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Legendre Polynomials?

While Legendre polynomials are useful in many mathematical applications, they do have some limitations. One limitation is that they are only defined over a specific range, typically from -1 to 1. Additionally, the accuracy of Legendre polynomial approximations can decrease as the degree of the polynomial increases, making them less useful for higher order approximations.